Monday, July 26, 2010

You Can Call Me Betty

Geoff used to call me Betty. Betty as in, hot girl. Then he decided that it wasn't very respectful so he stopped.

This time, you can call me Betty but I was thinking more along the lines of "Betty Crocker", Betty, as in, man, Betty! you sure know your way around a kitchen!

So have I told you lately that I love The America's Test Kitchen line of cookbooks? I have the cookbook and their baking book. I love them both. Well, there is a chocolate chip cookie recipe they have in there that I don't like. (Don't worry, I have found a choc. chip cookie recipe I love...love a little too much, if you know what I mean.)


Last week I bought a box of peaches. So many peaches...millions of peaches, peaches for me. (Sorry, since I brought that bought box of peaches back home, The Presidents of the United States of America -the band, not the actual presidents- has been going through my head.)

I digress. A lot.

So with my brought bought box of peaches I made three batches of jam last week.

Furthermore, Geoff wanted stew for dinner last night (I make amazing stew, if I do call myself Betty) and so since it is summer I decided to balance the fall cuisine with a summery peach pie. Mmmm. I used the all-butter crust recipe in the baking book mentioned above (though it really isn't just butter...there is sour cream among the standard flour and a pinch of salt type ingredients) and some more of that box of peaches. It was incredible. The best crust ever!

I still have some peaches left. I need to finish them off. Maybe I will just freeze them...

After that peach pie, oddly enough, I wasn't all pied-out. My delivery of the best peach pie I have ever had only fueled my desire for more pie-triumph.

In the fridge, right now, is probably the best chocolate cream pie with cookie crust I will ever eat. Though that truly remains to be said since I haven't actually eaten the pie yet. It takes four hours to chill in the fridge. While I chill in my central air. But I have a hunch it will be good since I did get a lick of my finger that so mischievously grazed the bowl before it was plunged into the sink of water.

I will tell you how the pie was after I have a slice.

Then I will mention how I am seriously thinking about joining Weight Watchers.

Really. I am. Seriously.

5 comments:

Carrot Jello said...

And Betty when you call me, you can call me Al.
Call me Al.

Kinley said...

Way to go Peaches... I mean Betty! You really do make some mean jams and I can only imagine that an all butter with a hint of some other stuff crust is amazing! I will have to look into one for myself! I hope that your pie was everything and then some! And I have to say the Dire Strait song is taking me back to some good old days! Love it!!!

Heidi said...

how funny that carrot said that, cuz that's exactly what i was thinking when i saw your post! but now i have that song in my head. thanks. thanks a lot, carrot! ;)

you're making me hungry for pie, pie that i can't have until my baby is born. but look out for all those christmas pies! i won't have gestational diabetes anymore and so can sugar binge for one day. oh, the joys of the holidays.

Heather, Rex, etc. said...

Love the post, but I love that song that popped up: fidelity. It was so cool! I listened to it a few times.

Lefty said...

Carrot: you are very funny. Truly. Very funny (but I think you know that).

Kinley: yes. Dire Straits. Good times. Come see me. Oh-and your Uncle Blaine just sold us a Toyota. He is a good man. And he seems very cool, too.

Heidi: you just keep on keepin' on for that cute little Jimmy. You are doing so fantastic and that babe is gonna be so cute-and let us hope no more than ten pounds!

Heather: Regina Spektor is awesome. Check out The Call-another hit of hers, in my opinion.

I love that some of you check out the music on here. Sometimes I turn my computer on just to listen to my blog. How self-involved am I? (Very.)