I had a feeling it would happen
as I poured several cups of sugar into the pot.
I hoped my excellent stirring skills would compete
with the mass volume of boiling jam.
But I set the timer for one minute
and as the seconds pulsed their way down on the clock
I knew I didn't stand a chance.
60...okay, I think my excellent stirring skills will do...
59..58..57..56..55........oh, dear
(I'm still a little lady-like at this point)...
....keep stirring!!!...
...48..47..46..45.......oh, crap (no, I lost my lady-like cool)...
32..31..30..29..28...no, no, no!...please!!!...
19..18..17..16..15: Oh $#!*!!!...
watching the lava liquid calm.
I opened the windows and the doors and even the garage door
as the smoke filled the kitchen.
Smoke, even if it comes from delicious jam,
does not smell good (just in case you've wondered).
I don't know if it will gel.
I will just have to wait for it to cool to find out.
It coats a spoon nicely.
It tastes divine.
Just in case you were wondering:
Peaches and Blackberries pair well.
Very well.
I'm thinking I might make a blackberry-peach pie.
Mmmm...pie.
(See it doesn't really take much for me
to be distracted from a disaster.
Just throw me a spoonful of jam.
Or a pie.
But don't really throw it at me.
Just place it in front of me and I'll take care of the rest.)


2 comments:
I'd say you handles the overflow as well as the next "lady"-hahaha.
At least you know how to can! I've always wanted to learn. I bet it will set up and be wonderful!!
It did set up just fine.
I don't know how to can yet.
Boiling jam cans itself, though. So anyone can be a pro.
Just make sure to put the jars in the dishwasher so they are piping hot when you pour the jam into them (so they don't crack). Also, I pour boiling water over the lids and have them sitting in the hot water until it is time to use them.
After you place the lid and ring on (I have tongs to place the lid so I don't touch anything with my delicious hands), the heat will leave the jar through tiny seeps between the lid and the jar and eventually it is air-tight and the lid "pops" and you know you've got the seal.
I've been doing this a few years now. Never had a problem.
Do it!
Post a Comment