I was all ready to cross the boarder into this different country. I had some walking shoes on (oh yeah, I look good when I'm a tourist!) and my passport. Not just any passport, I had a passport card. That is the way to go when travelling to Mexico and Canada.
I went to Mexico once with my sister when I was nineteen. We stayed at a five-star resort in Acapulco and it was so divine laying by the pool, allowing mutations in my skin cells where I was lax in the application of sunscreen, and having Pepe bring me drinks (virgin, of course) to stay cool. The only problem with Mexico was that I wasn't the best student in my Spanish classes. Luckily for me, my sister served an LDS mission in Orsono, Chile, so she spoke for us. After a week there, I started to understand what they were saying, but I was very shy about speaking the language.
Well this was not the case in Canada! I had, what some call, "The Gift of Tongues." I not only could understand what the fine people of Canada said, but I also was able to speak the language. I was also able to pick up on the written language quickly, as well. Miracle of Miracles!
One of the first places I saw was Pizza Hut. Well I wasn't so surprised at being able to read the sign since I just figured these people like a stuffed-crust pizza just like any American. Of course they would import a Hut here. I didn't think anything of being able to read that sign.
Then I saw a Safeway and I was so excited! I saw the sign and knew what it said!! I knew this was a Safeway grocery store. Not only was it a store I was familiar with, I could read that there was a pharmacy inside. I was shocked that I could read Canadianish, or whatever the language is called...perhaps Canadianese?
Then we went inside and I could understand what they were saying! And I asked a question, in what I thought was English coming out, but apparently I speak fluent Canadianese because the worker in the store knew what I said (maybe she understands English?) but I just assume it is the Gift of Tongues, being able to speak and understand a new language.Interesting enough, they have the same magazines and trashy tabloids in Canada. I assume you can't read them, since you probably don't have The Gift, like I have...unless you speak Canadianese?


2 comments:
oh, my witty, witty sister. you crack me up. canadianese. as if! :)
glad you had a good time in a foreign country and that you came out alive! so glad your passport card worked. couldn't have gone through the funeral without you by my side.
I'm embarrassed to admit that when we went up to Canada I totally got pegged for a foreigner when I tried to enter my phone number by myself into the credit card machine at Safeway. The cashier has to do it for you in Canada; just a tip for those trying to blend in Canda. Too bad I didn't have your traveler's savvy.
Post a Comment