Monday, August 2, 2010

THE Post. the KITCHEN post.

Remember this picture?
Yes. Wallpaper border, fluorescent light, bland cabinets and wall color.
Oh, and ugly counter tops.
NOW:
Recess lights, blue walls, white cabinets, black "granite" counter tops.

I don't know why the next picture is such a bad shot
(I don't remember it being this small and poor in the last post)
but here is the "before" shot of the sink area.

Remember my lament of the wood back splash behind the sink?
I kept that back splash on the other side of the kitchen,
and just painted it with the counter top finish;
but behind the sink I did a black bull nose 4-inch tile.

Tiling was easy. You have to be quick, but it is easy.
(Sorry, I don't have a close-up on the tile job.)
The counter top process
(the kit at Lowe's is $250-from Modern Masters Transformations)
was very easy.

A little time consuming since you have to let it cure for one week before fully using
(you can use it after 48 hours, lightly).

We are very happy with the counter top, though.
It was an inexpensive solution to an ugly counter top.

Now I just have to make curtains, find some artwork and do a few more improvements
(I really want a magnetic wall knife mount instead of using a knife block--anything for more counter space) and it will be complete.

As for the dining area in the kitchen:
a table is being shipped (very slowly!) to us
and I hired an upholster to make bench cushions for me and that will be done this week.

We hired a man to make that bench (that is covered in dolls and a can of paint, among other things) under the window. It has storage in it, too. I will post pictures when that project is through.


So with a lot of elbow grease, some sand paper, paint, spray paint (for the brass finish hardware to "magically" become silver) and a few hired hands (cabinet maker for the bench, electrician for the lighting, and upholster for the bench seat) this kitchen has been changed!

We can't believe the sellers didn't do this to the kitchen
-they could have asked a lot more for the house.






11 comments:

Katie The Lady said...

Yay- thanks for the pics! I LOVE your kitchen- it looks wonderful!

RORYJEAN said...

Wow! It looks amazing! You should send the pictures in to a design blog- awesome!

Williams Family said...

Looks beautiful. What a transformation! Amazing what a little work and elbow grease can do.

Love, natalie

carol said...

Congratulations on seeing your vision become reality! It takes confidence AND elbow grease to arrive where you are now. You're going to enjoy this room a lot!

Carrot Jello said...

Ca-UTE!
What kind of paint did you use?
Like, brand/sheen/enamel or latex?

Yumi said...

BEAUTIFUL transformation, Kim! Great job on everything! And the magnetic knife mount sounds awesome! Paranoid me probably would be a bit nervous about knives exposed...but having them out of reach of little hands is probably a better idea than what I have now. Love your kitchen! And aren't you glad the previous sellers didn't fix it beforehand? Elbow grease aside, it did help you get a better deal on your home, right? :)

Lefty said...

Yumi-we are very happy they didn't do anything to the kitchen! Though we are surprised they didn't do something with it-as it was so bad.

Heather, Rex, etc. said...

You are really good at improvements! LOVE the countertops! Thanks for the ideas!

Megan said...

um, WOW! Seriously, so amazing. Isn't it a great feeling to be in a beautiful room that YOU created!

Heidi said...

WOWZA!!!!! I am very impressed and jealous. Will you come and do mine next? I need to convince Ryan to let me paint the ugly cabinets that are honey oak to be transformed to shiny white like yours. I lurve it! You should send the before/after pics to the next before/after party that the "thrifty decor chick" hosts. And to the HGTV makeover site where people post their transformations.
You are one talented lady. Wonder where you inherited that gene from? :)

my wv: rating. As in "we are rating your room" haha

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love the countertops! Good job.