You see this:
Yes. You know what I'm doing this summer.
It's all I did last summer.
And here I am. Again. Making jam.
Taking unsuspecting berries.
Strawberries.
Raspberries.
Blackberries.
Washing, cutting, mashing.
And this particular liquid measuring cup (below) is my favorite, because I can see the amount from above without having to do the put-it-on-the-counter-and-squat-to-see-eye-level thing.
Oh, sorry. (I go on tangents a lot, if you don't know.) Back to jam.
So I put fruit into pot.
I add the pectin from the box.
And I bring to a boil.
When it becomes a boil that can't be controlled with stirring,
I add sugar.
Lots of sugar. LOTS.
I set the timer for a minute.
It isn't so bad for the first fifteen seconds.
Then it gets scary.
Wear-a-glove-when-you-stir scary.
Wish-I-had-a-longer-wooden-spoon scary.
Just-five-more-seconds scary.
Wish-I-had-a-three-foot-wooden-spoon scary.
After the (scary) minute is up, I take the pot off the heat and bring it over to the counter.
There I quickly ladle off the foam. The recipe says to use butter to reduce the foam. I've done this but see no difference. There is always foam to ladle off.
I always load up the jars into the dishwasher, and then at the very end of the cycle I mash my berries and cook them. By the time the jam is finished with the stove process, the jars in the dishwasher are hot. It is important that they are hot so the boiling jam doesn't crack the glass.
it is time to put a freshly washed and heated lid on the jars.
(I keep the lids in a pan of very warm water on the stove, while the jam is cooking,
so they are heated and ready to go when I am.)
I use tongs to be clean.
Then, as the saying goes, I "put a lid on it" and clean up the jar.
The jar has freshly boiled jam so you'll need a dish towel or something because it is very hot.
It cans itself.
How nice of it, huh?
An inanimate object that is thoughtful.
About fifteen minutes (or so) after the lids are screwed on, I get to hear that lovely popping sound from the jar, letting me know it has sealed.
But even though the canning is easily done, you still have to clean up.
This is when I get to "poison test" the jam. After the jam gets into the jars, the leftover traces in the pot are cool enough (though still deliciously warm) to try. This batch was like a pie. So good.
7 comments:
Thank you very much for posting this. I'm still intimidated by the process though, because last time I tried to do canning, I forgot the whole idea of putting cold glass into hot water--and I did that, and then I had floating glass pieces in hot water, and it wasn't a very good experience. BUT, nevertheless, I shall try try again.
I'm on the hunt for a 3-foot long handled wooden spoon! Yes, we who boil hot, bubbling, spitting things all know the freaked-out scariness of finishing the prescribed minutes without getting spit on by searing blobs of hot lava! The face is the worst, followed by the arms. You're very brave and a darn fine cook too!
Holy cow jamming seems so intense! I've never done it before, I've always been intimidated by it. I'm glad I found your blog!
What a crazy mess, I love it! (and i love it more that it is at your house and not mine :)
Try this!
SURE.JELL® Chocolate Raspberry Spread
Recipe Rating:
Prep Time: 45 min
Total Time: 45 min
Makes: About 10 (1-cup) jars or 160 servings, 1 Tbsp. each
5 cups prepared fruit (buy about 2 qt. fully ripe red raspberries)
1 box SURE.JELL Fruit Pectin
5 squares BAKER'S Unsweetened Chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp. butter or margarine
7 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
BRING boiling-water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.
CRUSH raspberries thoroughly, one layer at a time. (Press half of the pulp through a sieve to remove some of the seeds, if desired.) Measure exactly 5 cups prepared fruit into 6- or 8-qt. saucepot.
STIR pectin into prepared fruit in saucepot. Add chocolate; mix well. Add butter to reduce foaming.. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
LADLE immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 min. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middles of lids with finger. (If lids spring back, lids are not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)
Wow, that's a lot of Jam! I want to try to make Jam, but I am a klutz in the kitchen, and I can easily picture myself burning my face off in the boiling liquid or something along those lines. It must feel so great when you line up all of those jars and get to see your hard work on display.
Michael,
Thank you for posting the jam spread recipe--I will most definetely try it because, unlike some people, I LOVE chocolate and fruit together. (I probably wouldn't mind most things with chocolate, though!) But I wonder what I would use this on. Cookie sandwiches and desserts? Maybe a chocolate-raspberry mousse cake that I make that has a layer of jam at the bottom on the crust--and then wonderful ganache at the top. What do you use it on?
Post a Comment