Monday, July 13, 2009

Jam Jam Session

Let the Jams begin!

QFC had a great deal on strawberries last week (and probably until the end of tomorrow, Tuesday):

Strawberries: $1 per pound.

So I bought ten. I used two for Young Womens (the youth group I work with for church), one for my family's instant gratification, and the rest for jam.

I made a batch of "Strawberry Fields Forever" (just plain ol' glorious strawberry jam with a fun name) and then had almost enough for a second batch.

So I added a cup of blackberries and called it "Freckled Strawberry Jam" for kicks and giggles and giggles and kicks.

Good times.

Next: some of my Raspberry Beret.





4 comments:

carol said...

Let's have a date day end of July--a Lake Stevens U-Pick Blueberry Farm, a non-advertised farm my doctor owns. I learned how to find it yesterday--3 acres of berries and best of all, he runs it on an 'honors' theory: you pick, you bag, you weigh, you pay a box. Isn't that a sweet comment on his philosphy of trust!

Dan said...

Raspberry Beret Jam rocks! Did you jam to Prince while you made it?

Diana said...

Someday you should teach me how to do that.
Seriously.

Lefty said...

Diana: I am happy to teach you. You can come over, my girls can entertain your boy (or we could do this after their bedtimes), we can mash up some fruit and then cook and can it. It is SO easy. I don't have a canner--but you don't need it with jam. Just boiling jam poured into a hot jar (so it doesn't crack) and then put the lids on and as it cools the jars can themselves. It's my kind of (lazy) canning.