Seattle's Heatwave
Summer is not my friend
-turn up the AC
My preference for seasons goes in this order
#1 Fall
What is NOT to love about Fall?! Cool, crisp nights. The smell of chimney's smoking. School: the start of some new knowledge to be gained. Halloween and Thanksgiving--these precede my favorite, Christmas Eve. Pumpkin scented candles. Pumpkin Pie. Apple Pie. The desire to bake and it being okay to heat the kitchen up. Darkness coming earlier in the evening--my girls thinking they are getting away with something because in the summer they still go to bed at seven o'clock, and never see it get dark unless they're in bed very late.
#2 Spring
What is NOT to love about Spring?! Didn't I just write something like that? After the dark and dreary Winter --in Seattle!--the sun comes out. And pretty soon, the crocus make you believe again that flowers will eventually bloom. This means that tulips (my second favorite) will start showing up, and the hope for my all-time favorite, the Peony, will soon bloom. Trees blossom. Birds chirp. You trade wool button-down coats for raincoats and boots, or just sweaters.
#3 Winter
I only love Winter for a few reasons, though they are strong:
Christmas Eve (Yes, I love Christmas, of course. But I love the Eve best because the celebrations are at their peak, since the next day, all are too excited for the evening to come and the busy rushing to-and-fro to be over. Kind of a let down, really. So the Eve is my favorite.)
Coats, Sweaters, Scarfs, Gloves. Mostly, because if I am cold, I can always get warm--but am never HOT.
Which leaves Summer to be last. I hate heat. I've never liked it and it has never liked me. My skin is as fair as fair can be. I have the most difficult time finding make-up that is as fair as I am. The sun burns my skin, turning it red, which then turns back to white. There is no golden glow to my skin. Ever. So summer and me: mutual apathy. Well now, that's not true; I have to be fair: I'm not apathetic, I'm resentful. There is disdain and loathing loaded in my feelings to Summer. This may surprise you a little, since I should be grateful as a person who loves to take the fruits of summer and make them in to culinary delights and/or preserves to be enjoyed for the rest of the year. But this is my love/hate thing going on--mostly just the hate. Perhaps I should be in therapy?
We have an air conditioner that we roll (okay, Geoff rolls) from room to room, hooking it up to the window to cool off the rooms. In the living room during the day. In the girls' room in the evening. In our room for the night. It has brought the apartment's temperature down to 74 degrees. Very good in this 90-100 degree heat, so I'm not complaining. (Okay, I am.)
Here I am, though. Stupidly increasing this room's temperature by having this laptop open and running. I will stop now, publish this post, and enter the coolest room in the house and get some beauty sleep.
Good night, Seattle. Here's looking forward to the heat dropping to the 80's....and maybe some rain in one week. It may even drop to 62 degrees tonight. I sure hope so.
2 comments:
Crazy heat! It's been wonderful here. Getting up to like 70 in the heat of the day. You guys should just come here and escape the heat, it'll probably save you money seeing as how you have the AC running all the time, don't ya think?Ü
I'm with ya on the fair skin thing. I have two shade of skin...white and red. I never tan. I think I'm getting tan and then I stand next to someone who actually is tan, and I'm completely white. I hate it. Not even the fake lotion stuff works for me. Oh well. I just have to live with it...it's just how I am, I guess.
Stay cool.
{that sounds like I should say something like See you next school year! Lylas, Lindsay)
I find Christmas Eve to be the better of the two holidays as well. I like your order of the seasons too!
Post a Comment