
Christmas Eve.
Girls in bed.
Santa's Elves (handsome Geoff and gorgeous Kimberlee...hey, I'm the writer, I can compliment myself if I want to...I'm just trying to stick to the fact, you know!) start to work.
Kimberlee assembles doll house because she's very handy and can snap plastic parts to plastic parts and read directions. (Also, she can fix garbage disposals, GFI breaker problems, cabinet hinges, plugged bathtubs and sinks. In addition, she is amazing at replacing light bulbs, caulking bathtubs and sinks, and faxing. Yup. She's a triple threat: beautiful, intelligent, and handy. ...also, humorous, spiritual and humble... but that's so many and it might seem a little too confident to mention everything...oops, I already did.)
Back to the story.
Geoff opens box that contains IKEA Leksvik Children's table in white. Kimberlee spotted the table at IKEA in November and because they were out of stock, Kimberlee's wonderful mother picked it up the next week when they were available. For the next five or so weeks, the box was stored, along with adorable AGEN wicker chairs from IKEA (spray painted white to match said table), in Kimberlee's parents' garage.
So the box is opened and all parts (because that is how IKEA rolls) are taken out of box along with the familiar universal language instructions through pictures. What is missing? Two legs of the table. Yes, that's right. Whoever packed the box forgot to include all the legs of the table. What do we do? You can't put the table together with two legs....which side gets to be upright?
Disappointment. Anger. Outrage. Kicking, screaming, throwing tantrum on the floor. Okay, so not that bad. But it was the gift I was most looking forward to giving. An adorable table, with shelving below it to store their coloring books and crayons...with two sweet white wicker chairs next to it. It was going to be all set up for them when they entered the living room on Christmas morning. It was (still is) going to look so sweet in their shabby chic bedroom.
I was talking over and over to Geoff about how they not only need to give me the two legs, but need to make it up to me for how much disappointment I have over this. Like a $500 shopping spree....even though I'm not sure what I would get there for that much since I've sworn off buying any more furniture from them. Textiles, lighting, dishes, meatballs...those are fine.
Geoff is wonderful. He just listens to me calmly...puts it all away and back into the car. Not saying a word about my unreasonable rational.
Next morning. Girls had a wonderful Christmas. Santa's and Mom and Dad's gifts are received with gratitude and excitement. Kimberlee is straightening out their bedroom, making room for more toys. Geoff says, "You know, they're not going to give you anything more than the two legs for the table..."
"I know; I was just angry and felt I was owed extra compensation. A good store would."
"IKEA is not about customer service. They are about inexpensive items in mass. (or he said something like that..) And they provide that."
I called IKEA yesterday and talked with a lady (whom I am sure is getting many angry calls)... she has shipped out the two legs today and I should expect them early next week.
The girls will still be happy to get the table. It just isn't as magical. I had this wonderful picture in my head of them finding a table to sit at...instead of two random (but still adorable) chairs in the middle of the living room. Oh well.
We did have a wonderful Christmas. It's always wonderful to see family and friends and reflect on the One Perfect Gift we all receive from our Father in Heaven. His Plan is perfect. His Love for all mankind, His children, no matter what they call Him or who they think He is, it's infinite. He gave us His Son, so they we can return and be like Him. And no IKEA mishap changes that.
4 comments:
I'm glad Ikea is shipping you the two table legs. Now for the surprise: I'll take your girls for a fun day or 1/2 day, you set up their room the way you imagined it for Christmas morning, then I'll bring the girls home. Ta-dahh! xoxo
p.s. Ikea is having its 1/2 off everything twice yearly sale now! Wanna go? :)
I had a similar thing happen with IKEA and have promised myself never to buy from them again. Geoff is 100% correct; they are not about customer service. I am sure the table will be a hit and you will be extra excited to give it to them when the legs arrive.
I had a similar experience- I bought an IKEA pendant lamp that was missing a crucial part. They mailed me the WRONG part, so I had to call again and get them to send me the right part. I had a lightbulb hanging from a wire for the light fixture in my kitchen for two months! Annoying!!! But I will probably buy from them again because I am such a sucker for cheap furnishings.
I think you should take Carol up on her offer- what a nice idea. Plus it's always a nice suprise to get a gift after the holidays.
DOE!!! I hate it when stuff like this happens! Your mom is awesome. Very good solution. I am sorry your christmas morning vision was squashed! I would have been very disappointed too! The good thing is that your girls will never be the wiser, and will love your gift just as much as if they had gotten it Christmas morning.
Post a Comment