Friday, May 28, 2010

Trying to Envision

My mom has a gift. She is incredible at design, color, values. She has impeccable taste and can find strange or ordinary art and make it fantastic in her home. I have a feeling that when she is designing her home, she can look at the fabric, colors, materials, and see what the outcome will be before it is finished--and use that to guide her decisions.

I was not blessed with this gift. (I was blessed with this mother, however, and try to use that weapon when I can; however she is living in another state, and is a little busy, to say the least, with her life. Though I believe if she were here she would try to persuade me against white cabinets--I'm pretty sure she doesn't like them. Oh well--that is where our differences would be. At least she would be quiet about it (after stating her feelings) and try to help me with the other decisions.)

I have a difficult time knowing what this project will look like in the end. So I turn to the Internet, to magazines, to designing television programs, hoping that I will see something similar to what I have now and what I want my space to become.

And it's not that I want to copy someone's exact work (unless it is phenomenal--I really don't mind copying!), I just want to be able to see what it is I am doing. And feel confident.
It comes down to that, doesn't it? Confidence.

Perhaps in 36 years, I will have the confidence my mother has. I sure hope so. It is an earned feeling. She once told me she knows about what to do and what not to do because she has done some things poorly and other things right and learned from those experiences.

This kitchen redo will be one of those stepping stones on my way up the hill of designing confidence. I will learn what I liked and what I didn't like. I might learn that I have to repaint. I hope I don't learn that the counter top idea wasn't a great one...! I will just keep going until I like what the end result is.

For now, all I have to work with is a sketch I did on a word document, then filled in with colored pencil. I made several copies and played with various color ideas. This sketch I'm posting isn't accurate to what I will be doing, but is a jumping point for me.

Well, I'm off to look for fabric. (A short trip, thanks to the Internet and online fabric stores!) I'm hoping to find fabric that is fun, energetic, not annoying, and something I can use to help find the right paint colors and perhaps some accents.

Wish me luck! And if you have any favorite fabric designers, please feel free to share.

4 comments:

Lucy van Pelt said...

I like your start! I have to tell you that I got great advice from a friend whose father ran a painting business though. He said that yellow and green are the hardest colors to work with and that you should always try a color swatch (just painting a 2' x 2' spot on the wall) to see how the color works in the lighting in the room before committing to it. The light in the room can really change the green from that beautiful color you thought you chose to some pea green you hate, but it you try one or two before doing the whole room, you can make sure the color is what you wanted and expected.

Also, considering how wonderful the girls' playroom turned out, I have a feeling you will create something lovely. Be confident!

RORYJEAN said...

You should try Polyvore! Here is an awesome post about it- it isn't too complicated if you are somewhat computer savvy: http://oursuburbancottage.blogspot.com/2010/05/demystifying-polyvore.html

thechristensens said...

Your mother does have pretty good design sense! But, you do too!

I like white cupboards. I didn't use to, though. My only thing with doing white, however, appliances aren't always true white even when they are "white" appliances. And it's so annoying!

I'm sure that it will look awesome!

Lefty said...

Thank you, Rory! I am excited to use this software!