Ideas. Inexpensive ideas. Ideas that I can carry off by myself.
This home we bought was the first home we looked at. I walked in, saw the kitchen, and said, "Absolutely not." I walked through it anyway, appreciating some of the good qualities, but I said a few times, "Absolutely not."
Then we looked at about twenty other homes; we even considered building a home, looking at lots, drawing up floor plans, investigating various materials. After exhausting those homes and ideas, we decided to come and take a look at this home. And it all came into place. This was the best neighborhood for us, best location, best school, and it was a great price. Fantastic price.
So we purchased this one.
I still don't like the kitchen. And this feeling leads me to this post. Because we aren't going to remodel soon. (Though I've already gone on the computer and printed up some floor plan remodelling ideas that will give me my dream kitchen.) Geoff keeps pushing what I thought was a one-year plan to remodel the kitchen, to five-year, then ten-year and lately to a twenty-year plan. And rightly so.
It is a money drain to buy a home. There are so many little things that need fixing or adjusting, and all those costs add up. So I am willing to be patient (however unlike me) and make do with what I've got. And I am grateful. Actually, though the kitchen is small, it is very functional as a one-cook kitchen.
But the aesthetics. I'm not into these cabinets, I don't like fluorescent lighting, and I can't stand wallpaper-borders.
Well, let me take you on a tour. Put on your thinking caps and give me some suggestions, please. (And excuse the mess-well, it's not bad really, but I didn't clear off the counter tops for the photo shoot, and I am just going to go with these pictures anyway.)
The first picture is of the oven wall. It sits on the other side of the descending stairs and faces, obviously, a window and the sink and fridge.
The wallpaper border (that my brother said to keep because it most pleasantly says, "I'm from the 90's, won't you come in?" --though my mother corrected this by saying the borders are actually 80's) is the first thing to be taken down.
Another thing I do not like is the counter tops. I wonder how much it would cost to replace them.I am more than willing to paint the cabinets....but what color?
And the hardware will definitely need to go. I dislike brass with a passion. (Geoff, since I know you read this, take some deep breaths...I know that as you read this you are seeing my debit card being swiped, swiped, and swiped again through Home Depot's machine...it's all one thing at a time...relax...I'm just brainstorming.)
We really like rich browns, and I'm thinking, budget wise, to use the laminate counter tops that look like granite. There are so many choices in laminate, and since (crossing my fingers) we will remodel eventually, I don't want to put a whole lot of money into the higher-end materials if we are just going to take it down. But the kitchen is small; can it handle dark wood tones?
And here is the other side of the small kitchen, with the window.
The light fixtures. They fade into the background and I don't notice them so much while I'm cooking, but those are something I definitely want to do something about. There are some decent light fixtures that I saw on our last trip to the 'Po (our short for Home Depot) and those will do fine. But will probably be the last to go. Cabinets, walls, counter tops--those are the priority here.Oh, and speaking of top priority-who on earth thought that a wood back splash would be a terrific idea? GROSS! It is a nasty danger zone behind my sink. I bleach and bleach and bleach. I purchased the caulking and gun and so badly want to pry off that back splash...but I don't know what to put up instead.


8 comments:
Paint, hardware, and countertops can do wonders for this little kitchen. I say, remove the hardware altogether on the cupboards, there's enough elevation for you to open the cupboards without handles, so that doesn't have to cost anything. Then you can do something fun with the drawer handles. Try two colors of paint for the cupboards with one color on the shelving pieces and insets and another on the outside part of the door.
Tear off the wood backsplash, get a DIY book from the library, go to the building supply store for some tile, and do a 4" tile backsplash yourself. You can totally do it! And there are fun tiles out there that aren't too expensive.
If you're feeling handy, installing new countertops yourself isn't super hard either. I only paid $80 for the countertop in my bathroom from the 'Po. Of course, you have considerably more countertop, but it's still pretty reasonable. And you can do the countertop in phase 2 if you have to.
I'm so excited to see your progress!
http://www.younghouselove.com
http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/
I have a billion decorating ideas I've stolen (well, mentally stolen) from these sites on cute cheap ways to decorate our one new house someday. But mostly the This Young House site, they have lots of kitchen redo posts that people have sent in. Good luck, you're living the (redecorating and housing) dream!
If you loose interest in scraping wallpaper. I found an awesome idea I want to try on our icky wallpaper. Cover the wall with tissue paper. I makes it look like wall texture. Looks easy enough and the cost is totally where I see it as a bonus. Thought it might be of interest to you. http://megardengal.blogspot.com/2008/08/tissue-paper-textured-walls.html
In my last house I just spray painted the hardware the color of choice. I had brass with a ceramic center. I taped over the ceramic white and just spray painted the brass a nickel color (the in color at the time it is now dated). Worked great, was cheap, and was way easy.
Good luck!
I want to come and help! Really. I have always wanted to remodel a kitchen...but not really remodel, just cheaply, er...inexpensively remodel!
I used to be totally all for dark wood cabinets, until we had them. I still think they look awesome if you have a big kitchen. But smaller kitchens like eat you alive with darker colors, I think anyway. I'm all for white these days. Weird, huh? I never thought I'd go for it, but I'm really liking the stainless/white combo.
I agree that doing your own tile backsplash would be a cinch. They do it all the time on HGTV, and it looks very easy.
But, you are your mother's daughter, it'll all look great, I'm sure.
I really do want to help, though!
If you want to go the thrifty route, I recomment painting the cupboard (we use a paint sprayer to do this and they look WONDERFUL- the finish is smooth and even with the sprayer). I think white is clean and bright and timeless, but it can be a pain to keep clean. Here is an example: http://jmw-aplacetodwell.blogspot.com/2009/08/kitchen-cabinets-before-after.html
I would put beadboard on the kitchen island (I guess it isn't totally an since it connects to the counter, but I think you know what I am talking about). It would give it some dimension. here is an example: http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2009/05/beadboard-kitchen-island.html
As for the hardware- you can spray paint it whatever fnish you like. Oil rubbed bronze knobs are one of my favorites. Here is a blog post all about spray painting hardware: http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2010/02/orb-love.html. If it doesn't turn out perfetly, you can always get new ones, but it's a cheap, easy thing to try. I thinki a can of that spray paint runs like 6 bucks. I spray [painted some hardware on a desk I was refinishing, and it looks awesome.
Here is one of my favorite backsplash ideas (also extremely cheap) http://www.designspongeonline.com/2009/05/before-after-lauras-backsplash.html. I've also considered chalboard poaint over magnetic paint in my kitchen, so it could be a place for magnets and drawing.
Wallpaper stinks to remove, but all it takes is elbow grease. I don't envy that task.
Good luck! Can't wait to see what you do.
I don't have any ideas to add, but it could be fun to help. Serena and I were talking about how fun it might be to get a group of ladies together and take turns working on each other's projects.
Kim Woodruff
Ladies,
Thank you for all of your help!! And thank you for posting the URLs for me to look at.
I think I am leaning to white cupboards--it will look clean and bright. I am excited to go look at tiles--and I love that print behind the plexiglass idea--so many options that way to bring in color. I like the idea of doing beadboard around the "island" --or shall we call it a penninsula?
Thanks again. So much. If you have any more ideas, please feel free to do my homework for me and share!! :)
White? Don't do white! Go black! It's bold. Like you. Although I suppose someone could argue that white is something like you, too. Whatever. Good job getting rid of the grapes! Those are so funny! Someone put that up on purpose! ha ha!
Post a Comment