On to the cake.
I am going to show you how to make this cake:
First steps:Make two cakes, with blue dye...to make the cake blue...duh.
Let them cool.
Layer them with crumb layer....but first, let them crumble out of their pans and proceed to try to "glue" the layers and pieces together with frosting....stick in fridge overnight and pray that it will turn out the next morning....
only to wake up and open the fridge door to find this caketastrophy:
Yeah. It was bad. Heart breaking. It wasn't as bad as this picture--this was after I transferred it onto a cutting board so I could use the foil-covered cardboard "platter" I made for the new cake.But yeah, this is a fairly good presentation of how it looked in the fridge. Sad.
Step Two:
After seeing the caketastrophy in the fridge, get dressed, brush hair, put a bit of make-up on and get preschooler to agree to get dressed quickly. (Okay, I suppose you could skip the make-up --I can't--but definitely get clothes on to go to the store. Unless you live in Seattle where people wear ugly pajamas to the store. Because they have no shame. Seriously, Seattle has won an "Ugliest City" award because of their liking for sloppy clothes and Birkenstock sandals with socks. True story, honest.)
Drive to store. In my case, Albertson's.
Talk to baker.
Ask for undecorated frozen sheet cake.
Wait for a few minutes while she gets it ready for you.
At home, cut it in half.

When you get a chance, toss out caketastrophy so you don't have to look at your failures...or be tempted to eat them.
(I don't even like cake. Brownies, yes. Pie, yes. Cookies, yes. Cake, no...well, unless it is a special dense, moist, chocolaty chocolate cake.)
Take picture of cake in garbage for post. Oh...wait, that was just what I did.
You don't have to do that.
Crumb layer on store-bought cake.
Place second cake on top and finish crumb layer.
Make sure to use blue dye (I use Martha Stewart's Gel for my dye) to give the frosting the illusion of water...
Take picture of cake in garbage for post. Oh...wait, that was just what I did.You don't have to do that.
Crumb layer on store-bought cake.
Place second cake on top and finish crumb layer.
Make sure to use blue dye (I use Martha Stewart's Gel for my dye) to give the frosting the illusion of water...



2 comments:
Oh Kim, I just love you :) this was delightful. And I'm saying this having just gotten back from Albertsons, wearing BYU gym shorts, a shirt with paint on it. And a bra. Maybe. I think anyway.
i just loved that post! mostly because i've had so many cakes turn out like your caketrostephy (is that how you spelled it? i'm suddenly forgetting how to spell lately.)
just wanted you to know that i, for one, get dressed up in my formal dress and heels, full makeup and hair, just to go get the mail! so what's wrong with you? :)
seriously though, i loved how the cake turned out. makes me think i'll make one of those for our school carnival's cake walk. and who knew you could waltz into the bakery at your local grocery store and purchase a naked cake? i never knew! thanks for the fill-in.
Post a Comment