Monday, May 24, 2010

Kitchen Ideas

First, I'd like to thank all of you who posted ideas in the comments section: all were appreciated. I especially loved looking up the URLs you pasted. Thanks for going to all the effort for me.

As for the cupboards, I'm going white. If I had a bigger kitchen, I would go dark...because that is my personality. (Not really...though sometimes my humor is a bit wicked.) I'm not sure which white. Isn't it scary and overwhelming just how many whites there are to choose from? Our appliances are white, and so I think this is a nice choice for now.

I suppose once I narrow down a wall color, it will help steer my choice of white.

As for the counter tops (which is two words, not just one, by the way), I recalled watching the Today show one time and a man was on doing a demo of a kit that transforms your counter top into what looks like granite. The kit is sold at Lowe's stores for $250. Modern Masters Counter Top Transformations is the company. (Click here for the website.) Anyway I found a youtube video on the process, and then showed it to Geoff tonight. We're going to do it. The counter top transformation, that is. Geesh, where is your head?!

So white cupboards, with the charcoal finish on the counter top. Trust me, it will look fine. I've looked at lots of pictures and it is okay, you can do a white cupboard with a black counter. I know, I was a little leery of it, too; but I've researched lots of pictures and they look great. (Does it sound like I'm just trying to comfort myself through this? It may be the case since I get nervous when it comes to dramatic change.)

To see images of white cupboards and black granite, take a look at the following images:

Click here,
and then here,
and then here,
and here,
and why not, just for kicks and giggles, here.

The color on the walls I still haven't decided. I've gone from blue to green to yellow to blue...and through it all once more. I'd like it to be cheerful and have energy, but not be overwhelming.

I'm looking to art for inspiration on the wall color. I'd like to have some art in the kitchen and am hoping to take my queue for the color through what will be on my walls. I've been looking at vintage posters online and haven't found anything I absolutely love yet. I've also been looking to fabric, because there are plenty of ways to take fabric not just into the curtains, but also onto canvas, or under glass or various other creative avenues. So now I keep my eyes open.

As for the kitchen counter, it takes a week to cure. So Geoff and I are probably going to get on this project soon, and do it the day before we leave for Seattle in June (the counter- get your head out of the gutter!). Then it will be all ready when we come home.

Geoff really wants to see the canned lights be put into the ceiling and to have the horrible, evil, vile fluorescent light taken down. Me too. So I am glad this is one of his priorities.

As for the finite finishes on the cabinets or drawers or light fixtures, I'm not sure. I think I'll have to see it come together a bit further to decide on that just now.

I will post pictures as they come.

8 comments:

Yumi said...

My dream kitchen would have white cabinets and a dark, charcoal countertop! I love the combo! With some pretty glass tile backsplash. And while I'm dreaming, let's throw in a Viking 8 burner stove with a double oven. Just for kicks. :)
The "refinished" countertops are interesting...If you're going to resell eventually, I'd probably go against that. Since everyone wants granite these days...but if it's your home to love and live in for years, I say go for it! As for the cabinets...are you painting them white? OR replacing them? I'm wondering the difficulty of replacing the cabinets and then reusing the old laminate countertops. We're a little familiar with remodels...and that sounds kinda tricky. Paint, on the other hand, is quick, easy and cheapest if they are in good shape! Kitchen remodels are the most stressful ('cause where are you going to cook in the meantime?!) and expensive...but I think the most rewarding! Good luck!

Kinley said...

Hey friend, if you need help painting... or sanding... whatever... give me a call! I love to paint! Sounds like it will be beautiful!

Lefty said...

Yumi, I'm there with you on that Viking stove and double oven set!! I so want a double oven...think of all the convenient holidays and family gatherings!

We are going to do a major redo (adding on to the house, knocking down walls, etc.) in five or so years. So this redo is to make the kitchen work for us until then and I'm just changing the surfaces of the cabinets and countertops, instead of changing them out and getting the real stuff. I don't want to put a lot of money into what will be taken down in five years...just enough to bring me cheer while in the kitchen.

Heidi said...

loving your ideas! makes me want to have them in MY house! so, when you're through, you can come to me for your next project....:)

RORYJEAN said...

Please post how the counter tops turn out- I'm curious since we have hudeous 1970s faux-wood laminate counters that I can't really afford to replace anytime soon. I can't wait to see how it all turns out. Do you think you are going to spray paint the exisiting kitchen hardware?

Lefty said...

Spraying the existing hardware sure would be A LOT less mulah, so probably I will. I'm not sure which finish though. There are so many choices. I love that spray paint is inexpensive and easy and quick. I'm all about that instant gratification!

Heidi-you should totally look into those kits-did you go to the website? 250 bones for a new counter-though I know you love your white so maybe just stick to it.

Also-I think I may just replace the wood backsplash for a new one (I know-I totally judge he who first decided to put it there!) And paint it with the counter creating a "granite" backsplash. I think with the covering it will seal it and the wood won't get gross. If it does, I can always rip them out and do tile-I just think it is one less thing to invest money into right now.

And Kinley-I just may take you up on that offer!

Alison said...

I'm excited to see the results! I think it will be GORGEOUS!

(And if you need some entertainment while you do all this, or even some help, let me know!)

carol said...

You sound very ambitious and in a good way! Good luck, I hope 'the cure' takes! Seriously, choose the cabinets' white from the same side of the color wheel as the counter tops' undertones--charcoal can have reds and blues (cool tones) or else golds, oranges (warm tones). That's all I'm going to say on that...