Migraine headaches? No, I'm pretty good with those now. Not to sound like some kind of martyr (but really, to prove that I can be tough), I'm pretty high-functioning with the headaches now. Pain Shmain. (Though if they make me nauseated, or throw my balance off, I'm still a bit of a wimp.) I still get dinner on the table. I still go on errands. I can do my job.
But throw me a runny nose, sore throat and a shoulder ache and you've got the biggest wimp. Not being able to breathe through my nose makes me very cranky. I wake up (next to my Kleenex box and scattered tissues--gross!) feeling sorry for myself and wondering how I am going to get up out of bed, make breakfast for the girls and make sure Anna's ready for school, with Halloween costume, and jacket, scarf and mittens, a la The Christmas Story.
It snowed last night. Yes, snowed. That is Rexburg, people. Snowing before Halloween. I don't know why we dress our children up in costumes here when they need to be covered with layers of warming clothes and accessories. Might as well just paint the face and leave the rest of the body in regular clothes. But then it just wouldn't be the same.
This stupid cold has ruined all my domestic-good-mom plans.
I was going to make cute little Halloween treats. Not going to happen.
I was going to glitter pumpkins. Didn't happen; probably not going to happen.
The Ward Halloween Party? No, we didn't go. I'm not the only person in my family not feeling well. Geoff isn't and neither is Madeline. But who does everybody need to feel sorry for? Me, of course. Have I ever mentioned how tough my husband is? Usually women talk about their husbands thinking they are dying when they get sick. It's the reverse in my home. Feeling sorry for my husband and all he has to put up with? Yeah, me too. Just so you know: he knew what he was getting into.
So we didn't go to the Ward Halloween Party last night, but we did take the girls to get the Swine Flu Vaccine. "Happy Halloween, girls! Mom and Dad aren't feeling well enough to go to the party, but we're going to get vaccinated! Fun!" I got one too, since pregnancy could be here or just around the corner.
Geoff had his shot a few weeks ago, since he works in the health-care field. He was feeling a little weird about having one and his family not. The school district called me at 4:15 or so yesterday afternoon and we were there an hour later amidst a whole lot of people rushing in to the high school worried they would run out of the vaccine (they only had 1200 left). There was a police officer there and Annalise was wondering why. I think because people are crazy enough about getting the shot as some people are crazy enough about not getting the shot.
So back to the sick. No, not vomit. Just being sick.
Do you know what I love?

Yes, it's love. It's how I got some sleep last night. I slept better last night than I did the night before and I think that is going to make a big difference for me (and my family) today.
And today I will drug up with Sudafed. I don't have any of the ephedrine-laced tablets...that is a bummer. I'm going to ask the pharmacist at the store if he's got any of the good stuff. It helps so much. Makes me feel normal. Hey! I may even make those Halloween treats after all! I find hope in drugs...Hope that I can sleep. Hope that I can be awake. And I feel great about treating the symptoms until this stupid virus goes away.
I know. You are worried that I'm a drug-user, aren't you? Already planning my intervention...trying to find Geoff's phone number? Worried I've got a problem? Relax. It's only when I'm sick. I hardly use pain medication when I've got a migraine--so that has got to count for something, right? It's just colds that knock me down and lead me to believe I'm dying.
Besides the drugs, I do the normal stuff too: lots of fluids and some (lets face it, moms don't get to rest much!) rest.
I'm a tea drinker now. That shocked me so very much. When I was sick as a little girl I remember my sister making me some tea per my mom's orders. I thought I was so grown up. Then I tasted that gross orange herbal concoction and did my best to drink it down. Since then I've always thought people were crazy for drinking the stuff. I assumed (and still do) that the regular teas taste better.
A few weeks ago I had a sore throat (nothing more than that, so no pity-parties during that episode) and I wanted something hot to drink. I saw an unopened box of tea I purchased a few years ago (for company? I've no idea) and thought that sounded better than plain hot water. After getting over the brewed bark taste, I liked it. I don't notice the bark taste as much now and am enjoying many of the flavors. Am I almost a grown-up? No. I don't think so. I still don't have the mortgage and mini-van.
I'm sure I'm on the fast road to being an old lady though. Tea. Dark Chocolate. And, oh, I like Almond Roca, too. Geoff says Almond Roca is the candy of elderly ladies. I think he is right. I remember as a little girl I went Visiting Teaching with my mom and every month we visited this nice old lady who always offered me Almond Roca. No, I don't keep it in my house; but soon enough...soon enough. I may not have the candy, but I've got the cranky-old-lady thing going on...now leave me alone so I can drink my tea...
...but do visit when I'm feeling better and you may just get a chunk of stuck-together-hard-candy or, if you're lucky, some Almond Roca.
3 comments:
Here is a recipe so you can make your own almond roca. It's from..........my grandmother! (However, my kids loved it and so did everyone else no matter what their age.)
Grammy’s Almond Roca
2 cups sugar
1 pound of butter (not margarine)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pound of finely chopped chocolate
1 pound of finely chopped nuts of your choice
(I usually use walnuts)
Mix the chopped nuts and chopped chocolate together and spread ½ of the mixture on a large cookie sheet. Reserve the other half.
In a 2 qt. sauce pan cook the sugar and butter to 300° using a candy thermometer. Keep stirring the whole time. This burns very easily. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla then carefully pour mixture over the chocolate-nut mixture. Sprinkle the reserved portion of the chocolate-nut mixture evenly over the top immediately. When cool, break candy into pieces and save the remaining chocolate-nut mixture for your next batch, or for cookies, or to top ice cream, etc. Store the candy in an air-tight container.
I hope you feel better soon.
Hope you feel better!
Mary, I love, love, love that you posted your grandmother's recipe for Almond Roca. Thank you.
Post a Comment