Thursday, October 14, 2010

Veruca Salt, here.

Take a nice long look at this and tell me what you think of:


I think of antlers.
And marble.
And hunting.
And hiring a hunter to shoot this chandelier down.

It is just another item in our new home that I want changed. I have a long list of things-to-get-to and they all seem to cost some money.

For instance:

1. 85% of my home is beige. I would like to change that.

2. Except for the bedrooms, all the flooring is hardwood; I like that, but I want to put area rugs down in the living room, dining room and entry.

3. Our master bedroom is green. Green is my favorite color, but not this green.

4. Ceiling fans. Geoff loves ceiling fans. I don't. But I think that will be our compromise. Better-looking ceiling fans. Not brass. Which leads me to the next point:

5. Ridding this home of brass.

Though this home is accented with brass, it wasn't made in the 80's, but the 90's. However, this town I live in is approximately fifteen years behind the rest of the country in regards to home decor and, I think, just a few years behind in music.

A short anecdote to both prove and illustrate my time warp dilemma:

I was recently shopping at a local lighting store to check out chandeliers to replace my current problem. I pulled up to the store and do you know what I saw showcased in their windows? Ugly chandeliers, just like mine.

I was, I think tactful, in explaining my problem that my tastes in home decor are not reflected in this area's stores. She stated that she was from California and that this area is fifteen years behind.

A little later while talking with her she said, "You'll adjust."

WHAT? I will "adjust" to poor taste? I sure hope not! I will just learn to shop online. I will make sure to have space in my trunk when I vacation in Seattle or other areas with good shopping.

end of anecdotal evidence to this town's modern challenges.

So this leads me to a search, online, for my next "need."

I looked at a few different styles but when I saw drum chandeliers my heart leaped and I knew the direction I would take my dining room.

I went to Crate & Barrels website and found these two shades:

simple. understated. nice.


ooh-la-la. a tiered drum! double nice.

Do you know how much chandeliers cost?
Perhaps I should rephrase:
Do you know how much chandeliers I want cost?
Think $400 minimum.

Geoff sometimes teases me that I read right-to-left, finding the most expensive choice and setting my heart on that.
It does seem that the items I like are always costing the most.
Such is the life of a diva, I guess.

So I went to overstock.com and didn't see much when I typed in
"drum chandelier"
...but then, I looked over at the pictures on the right of the screen and found my heart's desire:

elegant. sparkle.
glamour. yet simple.
So this is what I want next.

It will be a bit before I get it.
But I am keeping my eyes on the prize.

(And do you see how different my taste is from the previous homeowner?
We can't blame her though, she didn't have much choice,
shopping in this town.)

p.s. I do love my town. Please don't get me wrong. I will take my town, my neighborhood and just deal with my decoration dilemmas. Just so we're clear!




4 comments:

Heidi said...

well kimberlee, i must say that i really like your last choice the very best! i did like the drum chandeliers before as well, though.
just an idea to help you until you can buy the desired piece? i go to a blog called "thrifty decor chick" (i have a link from my blog) and she has the most incredible house! what she does is until she can afford the exact item she really wanted to begin with, she spray paints the lamps, etc, with the metal paints. that's how you could get rid of your brass fixtures, just paint them a different metallic color. or you could go with the oil-rubbed finish paint color as well. that's always really appealing.
just some ideas.
also on the nate berkus show this week he talked about saving 50 bucks a week and using that cash to refurnish your home. he showed a viewer who was a guest what she could do after saving 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, etc to her space. lucky girl, he gave her all the furniture so she didn't have to wait. so when can nate take me under his wing? my floors sure need it! (think peel-and-stick wood tiles that are peeling up underneath our feet in our family room. YUMMO! gotta love that! :p

Katie The Lady said...

Overstock.com!

Same awesome lights and chandeliers for much cheaper!

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Lighting-Ceiling-Fans/300/cat.html

Katie The Lady said...

I'm so stupid- I even read that you went to overstock and didn't see much-hahahaha. Just ignore my first comment! It is just where I always go for bargains.

carol said...

Until you can afford the sexy chandelier why not just have fun with reindeer profiles? Paint the ball at the bottom bright red, put eyes on the brown marble. Rudolph can look down on your Thanksgiving, even Christmas dinners! Your house is becoming your home more and more! It has great bones, too, just like you!