
I came on here to post an update on my c25k progress and scrolled down to find out just when I posted on this. One month. To the day. So it is fitting to do a one-month progress report.
So, no: I didn't post on the program and then bail halfway through. Thank you. Thank you.
I am still on the treadmill, three days a week, doing the program, recording my times and distance, giving myself smiley faces when one week is complete. Really, smiley faces. As if I am in the first grade. I thrive on that positive feedback stuff, even if it is from myself.
I had a hiccup last week in the program. Well, more like a sneeze, a cough and a fever. On Wednesday I did my run (5 minute warm-up, 25 minute run, 5 minute cool-down) of 7.2 (translate: week seven, day two), showered and dressed, headed up to the elementary school for a parent volunteer position for an hour, came home, soaked up my mom's company for a few more hours and then took her to the airport. By the time I got to the airport I was feeling very tired but I didn't mention it to my mom because she worries. By the time I got back home I was feeling lousy. By the afternoon my throat hurt.
My first thought when my throat hurt? How am I going to do my run on Friday?
That thought is huge progress, my friends. HUGE. I used to take an illness as an excuse for not exercising. Justified movie watching and lounging in bed with a box of tissues and my special brand of self-pity.
I talked to my husband, who was sick since the weekend, about my dread of the Friday run. By then I already had a low-grade fever and felt very weak. He thought I was silly for even thinking I could do it.
I didn't do it. Last Friday I was in bed. By the time Monday came around I was starting to feel better. No more fever. Just gross mucus. Blech. I wrote mucus. It is almost as bad as writing or saying the word, "crotch", just a step below it really.
So I contemplated a Monday workout but decided to clean my home instead. I am glad I decided that. In less than a week of neglect it looked horrible and now, it is livable.
So today I got back on the treadmill. Because it has been a week and also I am recovering from a mild case of bronchitis, I went back a week and repeated 6.2. My lungs did pretty great, actually. I coughed a little on the second stretch of ten minutes, but my breathing was awesome. In fact, today was the first day I noticed that my breathing has improved since beginning the program. I'm not panting through the whole thing. Though the last five minutes, no make that eight, my breathing was a little more labored.
If I didn't get sick I would be, right now, glorying in week eight (28 minutes run) and knowing that in just one week and a few days, I will "complete" the program (30 minutes run). I put quotations on the word complete because I won't stop the program on 9.3. My plan is to work on improving my times and mileage. As of now, I don't quite make the mileage. I am SO close. I'm talking ten more seconds sometimes and I would be there.
But for now, while I just make the time goals, I am so pleased. I still carry many extra pounds on me, but not only are they easier to carry around, the load is decreasing. Slowly. One to two pounds each week. Though I wish I had a magic wand to make the excess fat disappear all at once, I am grateful my body is getting rid of the storage slowly.
I love to run up my stairs (which I have to do a lot-the laundry room as well as my sewing room and the storage room are downstairs) and feel no difference in my heart rate.
I love to feel and see the differences, each week, in my legs, my waist, my hips. I am stronger. I have more spring in my step. And...I can still have brownies every once in a while. :)
So I have been kicked back to week six. Next week I will begin week seven again. Then I will complete that. Complete Eight. Complete Nine. And at that point I will have accomplished what I never thought my body or mind capable of: running...for longer than a minute!
Aren't our bodies incredible? And our minds, too! Don't forget those.
After all, running is a mental game.
3 comments:
i am so proud of you. there. i said it. proud. so shoot me president benson. i can be proud of my little sister and her prowess on that treadmill.
i am also a little more than jealous that you are able to get more than 10 seconds. i think that's my limit. for running. walking? maybe 20 seconds. ha ha
good for you!!!! keep it up! you rock!
You. Are. Awesome.
REALLY!
Now, one tiny correction to your inspiring blog: "crotch" is below "mucus", not above it. At least on me.
p.s. Did I tell you that I miss NOT laughing outloud with you every day? It seems we did a lot of that when I visited. So good!
What program are you doing? I can't seem to get my breathing under control to run. I need advice.
Post a Comment