Friday, March 26, 2010

Playroom (almost) Finished

Before:
Boring beige playroom.
After:

This playful playroom is almost finished. (I think) I'm finished with the flowers. I have a feeling that from now on, I will be going into their playroom to tell the girls to clean up and come up for dinner (or whatever) and I will find myself looking at a particular flower or blade of grass and think I should get out the paint and touch that up.

But for now, I'm finished with the painting.

This wall is missing one small mirror for the small purple flower
(and perhaps I will paint the electrical covers, as my mom suggested)
as well as some butterflies, ladybugs, bumblebees, etc. that need to be added.
The above wall needs a blackboard.
I purchased the paint needed but haven't figured out
if I'm just going to paint it onto the wall,
or purchase a material that is magnetic
and paint on that and attach it to the wall.
Above or near the blackboard I am going to adhere some cork board
(you can purchase rolls of this at craft supply stores)
or at the very least, a line with clothespins, so they can hang their art to dry,
or just display their masterpieces.
Annalise requested a growth chart and when I have the blackboard up
I will add a great big flower with measurements next to it,
so they can know how tall they are.
Good idea, Annalise.
This is their toy storage/desk wall.
It was my solution to their not having a closet to store their toys.
I'm going to put a 4-8" shelf above the desk and attach task lighting to the underside of it.
On top of this shelf I will have art and school supplies.
I originally had a 12" deep shelf, but this was too far out for them to be able to work at the desk below. I wasn't thinking through this when planning. (I currently have a purple 12" board in my garage...I will take it back to the lumber store and ask them -ever so sweetly- if they would be so kind as to cut it for me once more.) I will take back the shelf supports to Home Depot and exchange them for the least depth possible.
I also need to find the perfect height chairs
and the perfect height drawers for under their desk.
Any suggestions?
Below is the cast of contributors to this project:
Most of my paint is from Sherwinn Williams.
The sky is Quench Blue.
The grass is Picnic (light), Grasshopper (darker) and Espalier (darkest).
The clouds are 4 parts glaze to 1 part Bravo Blue (clouds aren't truly pure white).
I spray painted the brass light fixture white. Quick, easy and so effective.
The flowers (and soon to be there butterflies, bugs and bees) were painted with craft paint purchased at Wal-Mart. The paint brushes were also cheapo brushes purchased at Wal-Mart, too.
The plastic paint palette: I don't know where or when I purchased it;
but it comes in so handy, even for when I have to paint glue on a toy to be fixed.
(Did you know I'm a toy doctor? I insist to my daughters that I had to go to school to learn how to fix toys before I could become a mother.)
It was so handy to mix the colors together for these flowers.
Well it's not finished;
but it is finished enough that I am going to give the girls their playroom now.
And I will now move on to some other projects that need my immediate attention, like preparing the guest room (wanna visit?) and finishing the upstairs bathroom.






8 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

I am so, so, so impressed! Wow! You are talented my friend :) !! Your kids will adore this playroom ... we shall be stopping by soon, to play, too ;) !!

Liz  said...

It turned out great! You are a wonderful painter! What a fun playroom!

RORYJEAN said...

I'm so jeallous! That is amazing- wow! Love how creative you are.

Katie The Lady said...

I absolutely love it!!! I bet the girls just love their beautiful flowery playroom!!

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

You've have been busy! It looks great!!

carol said...

Love the clouds! Love the mirrored flowers too. Love everything about the room! Kudos on the great organizational wall for crafts, toys--a place for everything and everything in its place I say! Lucky little girls!

Stephanie said...

You are amazing! I can't believe you haven't painted before. It turned out so good. Come paint in our house! The girls have such a fun playroom.

Talia said...

This looks so, so cute! I have always wanted to do this in Grace's room but lacked the energy to do it! I've always wanted to copy the flowers from the story "Ten Little Lady Bugs". I don't know if you know that story. Maybe when my girls share a room again I will do something like this- you are an inspiration!!!
Great job! I love it! Can't wait to see it in person :)