I was talking to my sister, Heidi, and trying to explain how I did this. I was surprised that I didn't do a "how-to" for last year's project. So here is (in case you're dying to do a project--each potholder only takes about ten minutes, plus stitching the binding to the back):
Make a pattern by cutting out a heart from something. Something = card stock, an old file folder, or actual pattern trace paper! You can do any heart you want, but I recommend making it a good size (not too big, not too small) so that when your hand fits into the potholder, your hand moves freely and your fingers can reach near the end of the heart for a good grip. If you're like me, you may find your first heart to be too big, and then I just cut the pattern or the heart fabric and batting down to make a better fit.
You need a front and back of the whole heart pattern. Mix and match and do whatever. Though I suggest a darker color for the fabric because potholders tend to get abused.
This is how the finger/thumb covers lay on the front heart:
(it's so professional! my little joke because it is the "Professional" model.
FACT: jokes aren't funny if they have to be explained...
Also a FACT: I shouldn't post when it is late!)
Her idea is probably best, because her ideas usually are.)
I forgot to mention that you'll need 1 1/2 inch bias strips for the bias; just make it long enough to go around the heart. I placed the bias strip over the loop and started there. I think I stitched it on 1/4 inch from the edge.


After you sew all the way around, it looks like this:
I'm not a perfect seamstress.
You probably are.
You are so much cooler and I'm not so much with the being cool.
You need to make sure your "sandwich" is stacked when you're sewing
so that the binding is stitched on properly.
When you turn out the fabric it looks like this:
Be careful!
(Especially if you are accident-prone, like me...)
One thing I've learned in my past few projects is that it is SO nice to have a waste basket nearby when sewing. I've never used one right next to me before. I used to just clean the scraps off the table and floor after my projects. Now I eliminate the middle-step (you know, having the scraps fall on the floor or making a pile on the table) and skip to the waste basket. So much nicer.
Though I have to admit I still have to clean up the floor and table, just not as much.
After the binding has been sewn to the sandwich, you are ready to stitch it to the back. Fold the fabric under and stitch it down. I didn't use my bias tape-maker for this project so I had to fold as I went. Not a big deal. Because I'm tough.
(I really shouldn't post this late. My jokes, or what I call jokes, are not funny.
You may not even know where I'm joking. Because they aren't funny.)
8 comments:
You're so talented! Those are really cute.
Look at those! They are so dang cute! I love Moda fabric prints...I just don't sew-hahah. You, on the other hand, are incredibly talented with a sewing machine!!! LOVE THEM!
Hey, thanks for posting the instructions for me,your inept sister.
Okay, so not inept, just never made a potholder before and didn't "get it" when you were trying to explain over the phone how to put it together. So did I see multi layers of batting? That would make sense though, huh? It would probably burn the fingers if it wasn't put together with multiple layers of batting! (LOL)
So I'll be pulling out my fabric stash once I get the sewing projects that I have slated to complete once I get my sewing machine out of the repair shop, and making these adorable hearts.
I'm thinking VT presents for my gals for February here. Do I have to use heart fabric? NO! I can use whatever I want! (But I'll probably use the heart fabric anyway)
Good job! You're so talented. (Me, being jealous that you're so much more creative than I)
VERY CUTE! Thanks for sharing the step by step instructions. You almost made me want to pull out my neglected sewing machine! Haha. Maybe one of these days.=)
These are awesome! I lurve them! (and by the way, I love your jokes. Midnight jokes are the best jokes... hahaha!)
Tres cute! (That's French for very cute at 1 a.m.!) I thought that was the BEST day (well, it was one hour and 15 minutes until the nagging cell phone call, "Are you done yet?"!) But we got to talk fabric, glory in our tactile senses by touching everything in the store before we left it--all for only $30! Thanks for the post, now I'll get down to business!
This is all well and good, but have you made Valentine stuff for your bathroom yet? You'd better get on that. And while you're at it, make one for me.
I love mine! Thank you!!
Post a Comment