Friday, January 8, 2010

I Love the Library

Isn't it great that you can go check out books, for free?! Okay, sometimes I have to pay for them, like this last time. My books were very late do to our going out of town and my flaky memory. But the rest of the time: free!

Sometimes you have to wait for a book; for instance the latest Dan Brown book. I almost bought it because I really wanted to read it, but I waited. Then, just like Christmas I opened up my email inbox and there it was: an email from my public library telling me that it was there for me to pick up. It was a magical moment.

I love that I can go explore different sections: fiction, do-it-yourself, gardening, quilting. They even have cookbooks. (Though I'm not sure, with my accident-prone tendencies, that I should ever borrow a cookbook. So much liability.)

I do love having my own books. I love expanding our personal library; but with some books I'm not sure that I would want to give them permanent residence. I have been working on building our classical library, or even just books I know the girls will love reading as they age. Anne of Green Gables, for example, or books of Shannon Hale, J.K. Rowling, C.S. Lewis and such.

But the library: what a wonderful building for every town to have! Ingenious and a blessing.

9 comments:

Katie The Lady said...

I LOVE the library too! I'm so thrilled they are finally adding on to it! We'll go and check out like 10 books at a time

Well, when Michael graduates, we'll go wherever the job takes us. It would be fine to stay in this area, but the jobs here pay a lot less than most other cities, so we'll probably go away. An with the economy in the crapper, we can't be picky about where we move. But it won't be for at least a year.

Heather, Rex, etc. said...

Amen! I just discovered that I can download audiobooks from my library onto my ipod. I listen to them while I work out and Rachel LOVES listening to Charlotte's Web on the ipod as she falls asleep in bed! Yeah, library!

carol said...

Public libraries are a gift to us all, they bring social and intellectual civility, inspire the individual. I especially love watching children see their section for the first time, with its little furniture that's "just their size". Magical, puts a lump in my throat. I think intuitively all this gives them a better sense of themselves, that a library is a good place to be in, and that information and ideas are just at their fingertips. Was Andrew Carnagie the first to endow public libraries? Sorry for the long comment--your posting touched a special place in me!

carol said...

I must get an ipod--and then learn how to use it. Dang!

Holly said...

I find libraries in smaller towns much better. I mean, I like the Seattle library and all, but the waits are unreal! When I lived in Logan I could run to the library and pick up the next book in a series with no problem.

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Amen sista! The library is great. After moving 7 times in 5 years it's great to keep the heavy books to a minimum. The classics are good to have on hand, but seriously the library is the way to go.

Heidi said...

I L O V E the library too!
You should've told me you were waiting for the new Dan Brown novel...I have it!
You know me and how, er, patient I am. Yep, I went and bought it. I just couldn't wait for the book to be ready for me to read.
It's good, by the way. :)

Lisa said...

I've had these same thoughts at the library! It feels like such a great gift right? I just got The Lost Symbol as well after starting at #2,763! My biggest problem this month was that 6 holds came in at once. What's a girl to do?

Anyway, we miss you here. I hope life is treating you well. Good luck with the baby testing. My sister just went through exactly the same experience. Calling me saying, "Do you think I tested to early? Should I take another?"

Thanks for the great posts!

Anonymous said...

We just got our own library, and I'm so happy. Of course, that means we pay a lot in fines, I guess.