Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Borax Snowflake

I did it. I did it yesterday. Yesterday in the late morning, right after I poured the Orange-Chocolate Truffle Fudge into its pan to set. I brought out those white pipe cleaners, the borax, some string, two pencils and two wide-mouth jars. Actually, just one wide-mouth jar; I wasn't paying attention to detail (so like me!) and brought out a quart-jar, but not one with a wide mouth. That little detail wasn't very important until the end, and I'll explain why later.

I saw the borax-snowflake idea on a blog, as mentioned in a previous post, and wanted to have a Crafternoon (thanks, Lindsay, for the new word) and had put it off.

Until yesterday.

The thought, for some reason, didn't occur to me to take my prenatal vitamins off the sill for the pictures. So you'll be seeing my prenatal vitamin brand of choice in most of the pictures of this post.
You start out with making the pipe cleaners into a skeleton frame of a snowflake, connecting pipe-cleaner ends with string, then bringing the string up to hang from a pencil at the top of the jar. Easy, right? Yes. It is. It is easy.
The pipe-cleaner snowflakes dangle in a solution of 3 tablespoons of borax per 1 cup of boiling water that has been stirred together prior to putting in the snowflake. You want enough water to cover the snowflake. I used 3 cups of water, so 9 tablespoons of borax. Easy. It is. It is easy.
The above picture doesn't show the crystals starting to form very well. But they are. They are forming. They are forming crystals.

The next two pictures show them forming very well. I believe it is about four hours into the process. Once it gets started, the crystal forming seems exponential.










From above. Obviously. Don't you love superfluous explanations of what you're looking at? Though I suppose I could explain that in this picture you see the string taped to the pencil. I did this because my snowflake was too low and I didn't feel like taking it out of the jar, especially since it had become hard, to tie the string a little higher. So I just rolled the string around once and taped it. Easy. It was. It was easy.

The snowflakes in their watery glory.

Not only do you need to make the snowflake small enough to fit into the jar, but also take into consideration that crystals will be growing onto the snowflake. The crystals are hard. The whole snowflake, once bendy, is hard and not...bendy. You have to take it out of the jar. (Dur.) Because one of my jars wasn't wide-mouth, I had to bend (by force) one of the snowflakes to coerce it out. It came out. Yes, it did. But not without force. And a few crystals coming off. So just keep that in mind now.




Look how pretty.















How does it work, you ask?
Well I don't know.
I ask the same question.
I assume it is some chemical reaction with the wire; but I don't know. Maybe it is that the crystals form as the water cools and need something to adhere to. Does anybody out there reading know the answer? I suppose I could "google it" and find out right now, but I'd rather throw the question out into the void of the internet, hoping to get an answer back.
I keep wondering what else I can crystallize. It is a bit like glittering: once you do one project and see how easy it is, and how gratifying it is to make something beautiful and sparkly, you wonder what else (at least I do) you can glitter. Well, what else can I dip into borax? That is my question. And how does it work?, too... that is my other question.

9 comments:

32 Flavors said...

You think you are SOOOO sneaky, don't you??

The Woody's Fam said...

Why hasn't blogger added the like button, like facebook, yet? I like it! Even if you had to force one of your snowflakes out!

Dan said...

That's really cool...

Heidi said...

Thank you for your clear pictures and your subliminal message of the pre-natal vitamins! :)

As we discussed earlier when I called you, you could crystalize your eyelashes, your teeth, your fingers, just about anything probably! It just wouldn't taste very good, and it would make your eyelashes pretty brittle, but suffer for beauty, right? ;)

I also have to commend you on your very "Seuss"-like verbage. Very fun and easy to follow. You should have a separate craft blog where you just instruct us on all your cool crafts. And you HAVE to use the same "Seuss"-like sentence structure as this one.

I'll remember to use the WIDE mouth jars when and if I make this. It takes effort though, so we'll see...

carol said...

Now this is truly an amazing craft--and easy too as you say (many times)! And I know what you mean about applying this process to other objects or mediums. I wonder how tiny pearls would look after 'the treatment'? Perhaps a home business!

Yumi said...

Cool!
And can I just say...the prenatal vitamins in the MIDDLE of the shot is too hilarious. Are you sure it was unintentional?

Lefty said...

I really didn't put the vitamins on the shelf to go with the snowflake shots. I just didn't take them down. I should have, to make it more streamlined of a shot. I suppose it gives a little perspective on the size of the snowflake...that is the only positive thing i can come up with for my neglect.

Though perhaps it will remind all women who are of child-bearing age, whether they are pregnant or not, that they should be getting a balanced diet and also take a prenatal to supplement for insurance. (I am not pregnant. Just so you know.) There are many things that can go wrong in a pregnancy with fetal development; prenatal vitamins can help eliminate a few of these problems.

Do try this craft. Minimum effort, Maximum effect. I promise.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the prenatals. I take them all the time. :) The snowflakes are RAD!

Carrot Jello said...

very cool.