Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Common Denominator

Have you ever been driving on the freeway and noticed one of these:

Now that you've seen this, are you thinking, Yes, prone-girl! Just the other day on the freeway I was driving and one of these cut in front of me, sped up, and then cut in front of the car just ahead and to the side of me.

Well, my friend, you're not alone.

These are affectionately called, brace yourself, crotch-rockets.

Have I ever mentioned that my least favorite word is crotch? I hate the word. It sounds so awful. My girlfriend Calley doesn't like the word moist. For me, it's crotch. Argh! Why do I continue to type it then?!

So even more than...that word...I don't like the way these lame-excuse-for-a-motorcycle's (I like more traditional bikes) are driven. I've never seen this type of bike ever driven sensibly and respectfully. EVER.

And since it cannot possibly be the same driver I see every time I see one of these bikes, it makes me wonder what the common denominator is with all these fellas.

I'm thinking low I.Q.

7 comments:

Calley said...

You're brave, I can't even type the "m" word. And I have a word for people that ride those beauties, they're called "d-bags". Which, incidentally, I one of my favorite words :)

The Woody's Fam said...

AMEN!!! Right after Daniel and I were married one of his old roommates (the only one he didn't really care for) from BYU died driving one. The guy decided to race a red light and T-boned a car at the intersection. The police estimated his speed at 105 mph in a 35 zone. He was going so fast he killed the 12 year old kid in the passenger seat of the car he hit. IQ is only 50% of the problem in my opinion Common Sense is the other 50%. I swear anyone that drives a C***** rocket is lacking both and should be forbidden from drive on a public road.

On a side note Jenny (Cook's) least favorite word is bosom. We used to love to torment her by saying it. So if you ever talk to her when in Idaho you should slip it into a conversation with her and see her reaction. It used to make my day, because her reactions were so cute.

Lefty said...

Laurie,

Do you mean that if I talk to Jenny I should tell her that she is my bosom friend?!

Noted.

The Woody's Fam said...

Perfect!!!!

Megan said...

My father will point out any time he gets a chance that you can't buy a used one of these. They've all been wrecked.
As a person who drove a motorcycle for several years, never above the speed limit, always safely, and never wrecked, I will attest to the fact that the riders on those bikes are probably thinking more with their crotches than they are with their brains.

Nick said...

Oh! And you even got my favorite color! Except I'd never get the R1 (the one pictured)- thats WAY too fast for any normal city or highway driving situation.

While I wish I were young and virile enough to claim that my crotch had any part in my motorcycle purchase, I'm afraid the more boring answer is that of the motorcycles I tried, mine (very similar to the one above, except about $8,000 cheaper, and 80% less power) was the lightest, handled the best, was the cheapest, and had the best gas mileage of nearly any other. And it was used.

Nick said...

For some actual hard data on motorcycle accidents, there is this:

http://www.motorcycle-accidents.com/pages/stats.html

My favorite tidbit:

"...female motorcycle riders are significantly over represented in the accident data."