Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Life's a Garden, Dig It

For some reason last night's bout with insomnia (never had it with the first two babies until the third trimester; there are many things, like my love of smelling laundry detergent now, that are different from the first two) has made me want to write about gardening this morning.

January grows a desire for gardening within me that brings forth excitement and angst at the same time. I enjoy looking through my gardening books, drawing up plans, looking at seed catalogs and then...I look outside to all the snow.

Fact: I have never gardened. Well, not fully.

I had a small herb garden a few years back. I enjoyed it immensely.

Last year I was planning on my garden, had lists and dates and ambition. Life happened though, and the garden never came about. I am okay with that. Some things are thrown at you in life, hard things, and you have to adjust your plans and accept your life. And I did.

Well this year I hope more than anything (because it would mean an uneventful Spring and Summer!) that I will be able to build (raised beds) and plant.

Last year I had some basil and tomatoes.That is all. A few basil plants and one tomato plant.

This year I want several basil and tomato plants, as well as some lettuce, carrots, onions, radishes, peas, beans, eggplant (to help with the tomatoes and perhaps one dish of ratatouille--it's good!), cucumber and one zucchini plant. Oh and more herbs. I couldn't find a rosemary plant last year; I will have to search harder this year. So this year I will focus on a basic salad garden.

If all goes well this year, I will build another bed at the end of Summer/early Fall and fill it with composting material; this way it will be ready for planting in the Spring. I will add on garlic, asparagus, strawberries, and rhubarb next year. Maybe squash plants, too. I want to start (somewhat) small, and add plants on every year as I learn, so as to not bite off more than I can chew. Though...when it comes to chewing on vegetables, I can handle a lot! It is the watering, compost building and harvesting on time I wonder about...

So excited for the snow to melt and the dirt to thaw...just a few more months...so exciting!

No comments: