Monday, September 20, 2010

Couch to 5k


So I was on my treadmill walking a lot, running a little. I wanted to see how far I could run before stopping.

It got to 1/2 mile. I thought, Wow, 1/2 mile. Way to go.

So the next day I thought Yesterday I ran a 1/2 mile stretch during my workout, surely I can do it again. And so I did.

I was beginning to see that I could run and that I even enjoyed it. Before I thought I physically couldn't, and now I was realizing that before I just didn't want to. Mental games. And mind you, it isn't so much the running part I enjoy, it is seeing how much my body can do that I enjoy.

On the next day I ran a 3/4 mile stretch.

And speaking of stretches, I didn't stretch that week. I know! What was my problem? I always stretch after workouts; stretching is my reward for a job well done. (Brownies would be a good reward too, but I am trying to work off the many brownies I have eaten without "earning" them. Maybe someday I can throw some brownies into the mix and not worry about their making permanent residence on my body.)

So no stretching on a week where I pushed myself and, go figure, lots of knee pain. After a day or two I went to the doctor to make sure I didn't damage anything. He said everything looked good, my knee and everything surrounding it was strong. We talked about the usual R.I.C.E. and he gave me a shot in the hip of a strong anti-inflammatory. I am so thankful for that shot, too--it got ahead of the inflammation and I was able to exercise soon after the injury. I started taking two alieve twice a day, and elevating and icing that knee.

The reason for the knee pain? Just one knee, mind you. My left knee. My IT Band (a tough group of fibers that runs from the hip -along the outside of the thigh- down to the knee) is super tight, and my inner thigh muscles are a bit weak. When running, the IT band pulls the knee cap out and the inner thigh muscles, until they are stronger, aren't doing the best job keeping the knee cap centered.

(My left hip has given me problems since my pregnancy with my second child. She was a big baby, and in utero didn't center her weight between my hips. She preferred my right side and so my left side suffered.)

So back to the point (I am all digression in telling stories!): While nursing my knee back to normal for a few days, I was talking to my girlfriend, Alison, and she mentioned to Couch to 5k program, or C25k. I looked it up and it looked good to me. It is a very gradual running program that gives you the ability, if you follow the program, to run a 5k in just two months.

Also that weekend I talked to an old girlfriend of mine. She is a runner. You know, one of those. She lives for running. She told me that when she started running (starting out-of-shape, like me) her knees killed. She went to a physical therapist who gave her strengthening exercises and stretches so she could continue to run. My friend imparted that wisdom to me and it was so great. Especially the stretches.

I am limber and have a hard time finding stretches that will actually stretch my muscles. The IT band was especially hard to stretch. There is a stretch you do while leaning against a wall and turning--it does nothing for me.

Now I use a towel or even a baby blanket (whichever is handy to me after my exercise) to stretch my legs. While lying on my back I wrap the towel around my foot and pull my leg towards my chest. After that I pull the towel (and my leg, obviously) across my body to stretch the IT band. Awesome stretch! Then I pull the towel away from my body, with my leg out to the side to stretch the inner-thigh muscles. I hold each of these stretches for about one minute and sometimes repeat them before switching legs. These towel-stretches have prevented my IT band from tightening up and pulling on my knee.

So after the C25k introduction, and the good stretches, I started the C25k program the very next week. The first few weeks were easier than what I was already doing, but I decided to not jump ahead, and just do the program from start to finish. I figured it would be better for my knee's rehabilitation.

And thanks to the shot in the hip, the ice, the elevation, the 2 Alieve twice daily, along with the stretches, I was able to stop taking the Alieve within a few weeks. I continue to stretch.

This week I am starting week 4 of the program. I was really nervous about it all weekend since the running time doubles and the walking time almost diminishes into nothingness. But this morning as I woke up I was excited. Weird. But not. I was so anxious to see what I could do.

Is it weird, a little weird, that I am almost afraid of what I can do? I don't know why I feel this way. Usually I am just thinking about the one-day or one-week at a time with this program. But I keep thinking that in the program outline, I should be running two miles by the end of next week without stopping to walk. It frightens me a little.

I'm sure I can do it. I was worried about today, but I did it. I didn't think too much about it until I only had a few minutes left of running before the end of my workout. I did it. I can do this! Those were my empowering thoughts.

And speaking of empowering: I leave little room for self-doubt during my treadmill sessions. It is all positive talk. I think of how strong my legs are, how strong my heart is, how strong I am mentally to be able to push through the days when I'd rather be doing anything else but moving my body on a treadmill. Self-doubting thoughts weaken me and my ability to keep pushing through difficult moments.

So along with my strange fear of "What can this amazing body of mine do?", I worry about the next week. If I will be able to do it. I know I will get my shoelaces tied and my body on the treadmill. I know I will do my five-minute warm-up. I know I will do the routine-what is asked of me. I will keep putting one foot in front of the other. That is all I can do.

And I still haven't met a wall. I haven't gotten to a point where my legs quit. It is only my mind that ever gives my body permission to stop. My legs move until I slow the treadmill down. So I guess I am afraid that this will happen. And so now I decide that if it does happen, if I am supposed to run for five more minutes and I fall off the treadmill at 4 minutes 29 seconds...well then I will try the next day until I do it. Then I will move on to the next challenge. So really, I shouldn't worry. But I will plan on succeeding.

I get thrills inside when I think that it may not happen--I may not hit a wall in this C25k program. I just may succeed. Me. The one who has never been athletic. Seriously. I have never been athletic. Competitive, yes. Athletic, no. Always scared of the ball.

But this is a different sport. A game against myself. So: Wednesday: 5-minute warm-up, run three minutes, walk 90 seconds, run 5, walk 2 1/2, run three minutes, walk 90 seconds, run five minutes, then cool-down. Do it again on Friday. And then Monday...Run five, walk three, run five, walk three, run five, then cool-down. And then the following Wednesday: run eight, walk five, run eight. And then the one I fear: Friday: five-minute warm-up and then run twenty minutes. And that only concludes week five. There are nine total weeks.

And then the rest of my life, of course.

3 comments:

Lucy van Pelt said...

There is something really empowering about pushing yourself beyond what you thought you could do. I know you can do it and you will feel fantastic when you do.

Lefty said...

Thanks, Noelle. You are one of my inspirations. You are incredible--and congrats on your second triathalon! Woo-hoo!

Lefty said...

And Noelle, nice background on your blog, by the way! hee-hee-- you know what they say about great minds and all...