Tuesday, August 17, 2010

just an organizational idea for dvds

When Miss Maddie was a toddler one of her favorite activities was making a tower of the dvds only to knock them down. It drove me crazy.

You see, before children came into our lives, one of my favorite activities was to shelf our dvds, by genre, alphabetically. It made it so easy to find what I was looking for. But then we were blessed with children.

At first we purchased a locked dvd console. Then it was eventually replaced with an open system. An open system that was made into towers then knocked down. I quickly changed my "by genre, alphabetically" system for an anything-goes system.

Then I met Mrs. Neeld. Wonderful mother of four. Super mom. And super smart about dvd storage. She introduced me to the idea of throwing away the cases and putting the dvds in a zipped book made for cd storage. Brilliant.

At first I hesitated. I liked the dvd cases. However, my sanity, in addition to added space (not only no dvd-bookcase, but also, and more realistic, no more pile of dvd cases on the floor) was more important to me than my friendship with the dvd cases.

So we purchased these:
We have two small cases for the girls;
one for animated movies
and one for non-animated movies.
We also have a case for my movies:


And a case for Geoff's movies:

I highly recommend this dvd storage system.
Thank you, Mrs. Neeld!

4 comments:

thechristensens said...

I thought you were crazy at first. But, now that we don't have the DVD storage like we had before, I have taken back my crazy thoughts {you're not really crazy}...who needs cases anyway?? We're converted.

Heidi said...

when you told me about this way back when i converted immediately. not only does it save space but it saves space! the only drawback is that my kids tend to get the cds skipped faster in this method. any proven methods for removing scratches off of favorite dvds?

Yumi said...

That's what we did last year! I couldn't stand having DVD cases strewn all around the living room...and with the little ones, it was a constant pain in my rear! Now with the case, I LOVE how all I have is a small case under the TV. :) Love it!

Stephanie said...

Yes, I agree when you are blessed with little ones the systems of organization sometimes need changed. I love this idea. I will have to say goodbye to my dvd cases.