Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Exercise Rewards


From October 2006 through July 2007 I faithfully went to the gym 3-4 days a week. It wasn't until April 2007 that I started taking off two pounds a week...as if my body realized finally what I was trying to accomplish. When I started in October I decided that to motivate me, each ten pounds off I would reward myself. Nice bubble bath, a pedicure, new clothes and such non-1 lb. Godiva chocolate rewards. That reward plan went unobserved because it took me so long to be able to reward myself.

For your information, I was forced to stop exercising because of sudden migraines that occured almost every day (for two months) starting with and accompanied with vertigo. In fact, the last time I visited 24 hour fitness in July was when I was in the Kids Klub. I had just checked the girls in when the vertigo started. I felt "funny" for about a minute when it got so severe that I stumbled and clung to the wall (probably looking like a drunk on a sinking ship) to the children's bathroom where I vomited until the vertigo subsided. I went home with the girls, without working out, and never to return to that particular gym. After the two months of constant migraines, I went on prednisone which finally stopped the constant cycle. Through different treatments they went from every day, to every few days...now I have them down to just a few a month.

So several months later, several neurology visits and numerous tests and medication trials, I am back in the saddle, ready to be more fit. I've been regularly exercising three to four times a week at the 24 hour fitness by my home. I am steadily increasing the intensity and amount of time...and without migraines starting up (mostly due to the medications I am now on that prevent them.) I have a personal trainer that I meet a few days a week out of the four and she helps me lift weights and strengthen my core while I try not to stress out my shoulder (a migraine trigger problem) or hurt my back (I injured it a few months ago, to add stress to the matter!)

I have thought recently about my decision to reward myself solely on weight loss marks. That isn't fair when the body wants to cling to weight, especially given medications that like extra water and such. My new plan: I reward myself for the lifestyle changes I make, the time that I set aside for exercising, when it is so much easier to stay home, or run necessary errands, or clean the house.

So for every month I exercise at least 3-4 times a week (I have been doing four days a week mostly, so I think I'll change my goal to 4-5 times/week) I reward myself. Maybe a new bra this month, I haven't decided. Geoff gave me a Gene Juarez gift card hefty enough for a few massages...I think I'll wait until months four or five, when hopefully I'll have taken off some substantial weight.

For you all that punish yourselves for not making numerical changes on the scale, when you are making lifestyle changes that promote health--think about a way to reward yourself for efforts. I think it helps us keep going when the pounds aren't.

No comments: