Last weekend Geoff and I planted our first tree together: a honey crisp apple tree. He doesn't love yard work so I appreciated that he went out with me and did the majority of the work. I did some of it...like loosening the dirt from the grass clumps and then loosening the roots of the tree before planting it.It has rained almost continually for the past 24 hours and I am grateful for the watering the clouds are giving the tree. In my natural self-absorbed state-of-mind I assume it is raining just for me, you know, so I don't have to hook up the hose and water the tree myself. Thank you, rain.
It felt good, though, planting a tree with Geoff. It doesn't even come close to bringing a child into the world with him; but it does feel great being part of something that will bring years and years of enjoyment (and food to eat!) and possibly be there forever from now on.
After that project it sprang us into conversation about all the other fruit trees we want to plant and where in the yard we will put them. We would like to add another apple tree, possibly a zestar. And then a plum tree, maybe a pear tree, and perhaps an apricot tree.
2 comments:
I can't wait to see my fruitie-tootie family next week!
I liked the transition of growing things together. And yes Kim, the rain was for you... :)
If all that rain was for your tree, then what's all the rain for here for me? I didn't plant anything....yet! :)
Post a Comment