I checked out some books the other day at the library on labor and delivery to prepare for the birth of this babe kicking me right now. (Which, the kicking, I am already mourning: I am going to miss it.)I saw the above book, Easy Labor, and thought now here is the book to read! All you have to do is read it and labor will be easy? Winning!
Annalise asked about it yesterday. I told her my theory on reading it bringing me easy labor. "Mom: you know that isn't right?" That was her response. What a skeptic! (And such a smarty.)
In all seriousness though, I am picking up a book today on hypnobirthing. I still am planning on having an epidural, but am keeping an open mind to this hypnobirthing theory.
I am going to spend the next few months practicing this self-hypnotizing method. I believe it will help me relax until I go into labor, help me be positive about the Braxton Hicks that serve no purpose but to give me grief. Seriously, the person who said Braxton Hicks contractions aren't painful or even noticed is the same liar who said a woman gets a burst of energy in her second trimester.
Maybe it will get me through labor, who knows. If for some reason I progress through labor quickly and am doing well with the hypnobirthing...if I hit transition on my own, maybe I will just continue without the epidural. I'm not counting on that, though. Just keeping some options open.
I guess I am the opposite of a woman who wants desperately to do a natural drug-free delivery but has in the back of her mind a 1% option for epidural. I don't have any desire for a drug-free delivery; but if I am still without an epidural at an eight, and I know it will only be thirty more minutes until the baby is born, I may just go without the epidural, maybe get a local anesthetic if I think it will help.
I had better get this post published and get to the library now. And then yard work. And laundry. And the bathrooms. And a nap. Wait, I think I will put nap after library and before the chores...I have been awake almost three hours now, you know.
3 comments:
My mom always tells the story of when my aunt was in labor. She was delivering her daughter at home and had been spending weeks raving about how hypno-birthing was going to make her childbirth pain free. I guess early on in labor she started crying and said "It's not working!"
Oh, and with my most recent birthing experience, my epidural didn't work properly and I felt EVERYTHING. It wasn't as bad as I imagined, so if for some reason you can't get it in time, don't worry. I'm a total wuss, too.
That is kind of how I think i will be with it-not only will I want to be induced (which my midwife said I can have the epidural before the pitocin this time!) as soon as they say I can, I don't think I will have the desire to put energy into focusing on positive thoughts when I can just be a needle away from a nap. I like naps.
Post a Comment