Sunday, May 15, 2011

I Double Dog Dare You

Parenting is never boring. In our house it is a joy.

Madeline is learning to negotiate. We always encourage this with the girls. Negotiation, if done well, can become a successful part of life. A skill. Of course some things are non-negotiable and we make it clear when what we are talking about is in that category (usually after they attempt to negotiate).

For the past few days, Madeline has been attempting a new angle when negotiation fails or isn't an option: the double dog dare.

The first time was yesterday after her birthday party. We had cleaned up and settled down and Madeline came to me asking if she could have another pop. Geoff had purchased 8 ounce cans and I'm pretty sure she had had three already throughout the party. (We don't have pop very often, birthday parties are one of the special times we do-same with chips.) I told her no and that she could have water or milk instead.

She negotiated: "What if I added water to the pop?" I told her that the water would make it gross and it still being pop, she couldn't have any.

A short negotiation failed, she threw this curve ball: "Mom, I double dog dare you to let me have a pop."

Really? Double dog dare? Wow, she found my weakness: I can't say no to a dare.

Oh wait, I can!

The second time this new tactic was tried was this morning at church. She was asking when Joseph is born (that is my little unborn babe's name) and he is one or two and has to have a snack at church if she and Annalise can have some too. I said he may not have to, but if he does, they are old enough that they don't need a snack.

Then her compare-to-other-children's-situation-negotiation: but Jill and Jessica (names changed to protect the innocent) are allowed when their brother gets snacks.

My consistent response to these arguments: different mom, different rules. (I try not to judge other parenting styles, or at least show my girls my judgement. I always state that other families have different rules for different reasons--which is very true. I find if you understand where another parent is coming from, generally you will understand their rules, even when they are the opposite of your own.)

She knew she couldn't argue that one. So...

"Mom, I double dog dare you to let me and Anna have snacks when Joseph does."

Really? Again with this? I wonder if she compares herself to a Jedi and me to a storm trooper, weak minded and ready to cave to dares. That, or she is observant and notices my pregnant brain? No, I think she and Anna have come to their own fact: they are smarter than their parents.

2 comments:

carol said...

I've told and retold Maddie, it's: "I DOUBLE DOG-GIE DARE YOU!"

Only then do "No's" become "Yes's". That second syllable behind "dog" does the trick.

Lefty said...

Mom-don't spill the beans! Don't remind her of this fact. Please. I was a dutiful daughter. I have no strength against the double doggie dare!

...I double doggie dare you not to.