Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Food

To bring up a thought from my previous post: I love food.

Now don't go start with the it's-not-healthy-to-love-food talk. Or, Prone-girl, food isn't love.Because I don't have room for those thoughts here.

It isn't unhealthy for me, in any way, to love food. I do not think it is healthy to go on food-binges, nor do I think sneak-eating (if you do it, you know what it is) is a good choice. Food shouldn't be replaced as a method of control in one's life. Just so we are clear about my feelings on using food as a control mechanism and my love of food: they are separate ideas to me.

I love food. Food is good. Well to clarify: Good food is good.

There certainly are foods that I think are tasty but should be in moderation. Like potato chips, for instance. I love 'em. I eat them a few times a year. I actually have rules for myself, set up to protect my body: I may have potato chips when the following three conditions have been met:

1. in the summer
2. at a picnic
3. when offered

It has to be all three or nothing. So okay, with potato chips I have an "unhealthy relationship" with. The fact that I have to set up rules to control myself from their salty, crunchy deliciousness is evidence to the disfuntional relationship with the inanimate object and more importantly, my need to completely avoid the chip aisle at the store. And I do. Like an alcoholic should avoid the alcohol aisle. Or the chocoholic should avoid the chocohol aisle. I do not, by the way, consider myself a chocoholic. But that has more do to with the fact that there isn't a product out there called chocohol.

But food. Glorious food. It is a good thing.

You take fresh produce, in season, eaten raw or carefully prepared and it is divine. Fresh herbs seasoning healthy lean meats or mixed with some juicy, plump, firm tomatoes with a splash of vinegar, maybe some salt and pepper: have mercy! Or how about some fresh whole wheat bread, with some butter smeared on, maybe a little homemade jam? How about some of that? (Yes, please.)

Food can be something you build a good day upon. After all, it is what fuels your body for the day. Think about it: you eat a breakfast that is empty of nutrients, or chalk-full of body-slowing fats, or high in sugars and low in anything to sustain energy, and what do you get? A sluggish exhausting morning. But start your day with some fresh fruit, some nice protein, some whole grains and you have a better chance of a happy wonderful day, simply by fueling it well, giving your brain and body a better start.

I believe that good food can make for a spiritual experience. God could have put foods on this earth just to fuel our bodies; but no, he made them taste good. So those who say we shouldn't love food too much, well, I don't think they are paying attention to the incredible Creation of this earth and the fact that we are meant to enjoy God's creations.

When we listen to how different foods make our bodies feel (i.e. a diet of potato chips and ice cream vs. a diet rich in fresh produce, healthy meats, lots of whole grains), our choices of how we treat these incredible bodies become more responsible, more reverent, and are directed in attitudes of self-respect.

I have been guilty of emotional eating in my life. I didn't consider myself an emotional eater for a long time because when I am upset or angry there is no way I can eat. My stomach is all knots and I lose my appetite. But give me some boredom or a happy day and I will use food as a medium for entertainment. So I get those of you who would make comments about food not being a good thing to love. Because too much of even a good thing isn't so very good. (Though really, how often do people OD on fresh tomatoes or grilled zuchini?!)

But what about when we take the time to make an incredible meal for our families to enjoy; replacing the mindless eating with the focus on enjoying the textures and flavors in a dish, discussing the day in a calm manner across the dinner table from each other. Those are incredible moment opportunities brought to your family and friends through the common need of eating food. So simple.

Our need for consuming food can be mindless eating, grazing and hurrying through the grub...or it can be a sit-down experience.

In conclusion I will sum it up to one phrase for my adieu: Bon Appetit!

No comments: