When Madeline started kindergarten she remarked to me one day how easy art was for her, while the other children seemed to struggle with their assignments. Geoff and I arrived at her first Parent-Teacher Conference a month later, and I found myself standing in front of the displayed artwork outside the classroom in the hall. I scanned the carefully detailed drawings the children had made of themselves until I found Madeline's self-portrait: a stick figure in pencil, with eyes, mouth, hair, two arms, two legs. Nothing else. No colors added, let alone clothing.
Art came easy to Madeline. She didn't care about it, so there was no self-imposing pressure to invest effort in elaboration. She didn't want to draw clothes or add color, so her assignment was finished and she could move on to something that interested her.
The other day I received a birthday announcement for a friend's child. The child was beautifully photographed, then the image sent to the printers with her name, the date of the big day, and carefully chosen graphics and font. It reminded me that the holiday season is approaching and I will be receiving cards from loved ones. Which brought me to a realization, much like my daughter's:
Holiday Cards Are Easy For Me. Because I have never felt pressure to send them, I never have. And I don't see that changing. One less thing to worry about.
It's quite liberating to have some things in life come so easy.
P.s. If you're reading this and have sent me cards in the past: PLEASE keep sending them...I love to get them. I'm just not so much with the reciprocation in card form. I will make you some homemade marshmallows or send some jam or preserves your way if you'd like.
No comments:
Post a Comment