Thursday, March 28, 2013

Big News: Back to School

I'm headed back to school soon. Nothing major, really. I am working to become an IBCLC, that's Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant. Because my B.S. is in Health Science I have most of the prerequisite work completed. I just need 1,000 hours of experience, 90 credits of Human Lactation courses (online), and a few classes that weren't met through my undergraduate work.

The 1,000 hours will be met with my working as a volunteer for the Le Leche League and also as a Peer Councilor for WIC. For every year I work with these organizations I earn 500 hours. I'm hoping to meet the 1,000 hours in time to sit for the exam next July. If not, I will be ready to take the exam in 2015. (2015...that is just two years from now. Crazy, huh?)

I'm excited to be in the classroom again. Even if it is from my living room, watching a webinar. I miss school. I loved being in class with a knowledgeable professor and fellow students eager to learn. I think I will buy some school supplies...because I love shopping for school supplies. (I'm totally serious. I get a little sad every fall because my daughters' school has us pay a fee and they pick up all the supplies for the year. It saves money, but I want to buy some pencils!)

When I was in school I was planning on going to PA school eventually. With children at home, however, I haven't been able to wrap my heart and mind around any scenario that would work to do this, where my children won't have to sacrifice.

When is a good time to leave the home, anyway? Especially when it's optional. We have been blessed with a good job for Geoff, living in an area of the country where the cost of living is very low. It being an option for me to leave our nest for a few hours a week, this decision has felt both selfish and liberating. I bounce back and forth between my hunger for intellectual challenges and my traditional ideals. I'm grateful for a husband who is supportive, and for a Heavenly Father who wants me to find joy in life. In the end, I am excited about this opportunity, and am anxious to help other women, who want to nurture their babes through breastfeeding, be successful.

No comments: