Friday, July 15, 2011

Half Glass Full...running on empty

I am a half-glass full type person. When a challenge is in front of me, I am face-forward with a can-do attitude. When I want to accomplish something, say some kind of sewing project or recipe, even if I don't know how to do it, I jump in and figure it out. When life gets sad, I can even find humor and joy in my life.

That is why it is strange to me today, so close to the end of pregnancy, that I should be so cranky. Nobody knows I am cranky; I haven't shown it to my children, husband, friends. But I know, that today, I should stay in my room and not come out.

I am not so sure it will be any better tomorrow.

I am at that point that I am just waiting for this baby to get out of me.

Here, life hands me a most precious gift, and I am cranky. Granted the gift is the baby more than pregnancy. Pregnancy is not a cake-walk and I knew that when I signed on. It is the result, the baby, why I sign on.

I know there is an end in sight. I see it on my calendar. An appointment with my midwife on Monday to prep for my induction at the hospital on Tuesday morning at 7:30 a.m. But the end in sight isn't helping me today. You know what would help me today? Labor. Some real contractions. Water sac breakage. Get him out!!

And you know what? If everything goes well and I do get admitted on Tuesday and that baby is born (I assume early afternoon) healthy and strong and happy and I am healthy and strong and happy...I will see this day for what it is: just one bad day.

But for now...I will post this, close the computer and stare at my growing puffy feet, anticipating the day that I will put my shoes back on without needing a coat of Crisco to squeeze them in there.

And what can you do to help me? Pray, my friends, for my husband and children to endure this weekend of their labor: living with me. ...Until deliverance!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I remember that point in pregnancy. I remember it well. And I am anxious for you to have. that. baby. Because I know how you feel. Good luck on Tuesday!

Stephanie said...

Or should I say "of pregnancy"... hmm... I'm not quite sure. Neither sounds right. whatever.

Jon and Julie said...

If it's any consolation, my two week early baby is having lots of trouble eating. In retrospect, I'm wishing that she stayed in my longer; maybe we wouldn't have been having these issues.

carol said...

I like this post, it's so honest--we all have those days where we should have skipped from the 3rd to the 5th and forgotten the 4th! But we wouldn't appreciate the half-full days without those 4th's! (Not 1/4th, well you know what i meant!)