I love watching her, and watching her cook with her sons. My cooking preferences fit somewhere between her cooking habits and her sons. She is all "stick-a-butta" (I think every recipe of hers has a stick of butter) and they are all about spraying with Pam. I am all about butter (I don't bring margarine into my kitchen) though I use spray where I can. Butter is like bacon though--it makes food better.
I love that as she is pouring a can of sweetened condensed milk to make rice pudding she says, "I can take a spoon and eat this out of the can." To me I hear that and gag a little--I don't think I would enjoy eating sweetened condensed milk out of a can, but I love that she does. She is pure joy in the kitchen. At the end of her son's recipe she says, "Well I still say we need butter!" Her son presents her with butter to put on her individual portion of rice pudding.
And I think her accent doesn't hurt her charm. I will sometimes impersonate Julia Child when I am in the kitchen (I think I am hilarious)...perhaps I will start working on my Paula Deen.

3 comments:
love paula!!!! no, not love. that's not a strong enough word to express my emotion. i guess it would be lurve. yes, yes, lurve.
and as we all know from grandma's kitchen tile, food is better with butter and love. paula got that one right for sure! :)
The way she talks about butter makes it seem as if there are no consequences to eating the stuff. But I will admit that I do enjoy things so much more when they do come with a stick of butter.
I think Paula is delightful to watch--to me she's a great illustration of Southern charm! But her 'butter' cooking always makes me wonder about the linings of her arteries and what a tiny camera would show. Hope she has low triglycerides. Maybe she could reform, use "just a dab of butter" instead of a "stick"? I'm a kill joy, I know!
Post a Comment