Friday, April 29, 2011

happenings as of late

So I guess I should post something so it isn't just one lonely post sitting in April's file. But my mind, as of late, has been blank of little anecdotes, let alone words in general. So it is a challenge. My brain, when expecting, becomes mush. The only thing I am sharp and clever in, is complaining.

Don't get me wrong: I am so very grateful for this little boy growing in me. I've been wanting him for so long--and I would have been just as pleased to be having a little girl again too. There is an age gap in my children that, had my health been different four years ago, wouldn't exist. So I truly am thankful to be able to carry this child through term. (I am now in my last trimester--woohoo!)

That said, pregnancy isn't good for the body. Well, at least not the woman's body! It is great for the baby. The longer it is in, the better. I have just twelve weeks to go. I am hoping for eleven more weeks--especially if he will be competing for Madeline's birth weight of 9 pounds 11 ounces, induced five days early. It wasn't a challenging delivery at all--in fact, I was amazed at how good I was at pushing that plump baby out. Eight pushes. Booyah.

It is the achy hips and compressed lungs and the low-blood sugar dizzy/weak spells that keep Geoff's ears and mind exhausted and also looking forward to the delivery of his little boy. Sometimes I feel sorry for him, having to put up with me. Sometimes. Because the rest of the time is filled with my self-absorption.

On to other news: my daughters have started their softball season. They are doing pretty well; they obviously didn't get their athleticism from me! Both are willing to try new things and excited to throw, catch and bat. We are going to have to teach some basic skills, like that elusive What is First Base? (Or Who's on First...hee hee, sorry I couldn't help myself.) Madeline was told, when the batter hit the ball to her, to throw it to first base. She just held on to the ball instead. Then she was told again (this is after playing for about ten minutes) when she asked, "what is first base?" So yeah, some basics...

School is approaching its last month. I have just three or so more weeks of making lunches at 7:30 in the morning, arguing with them to please not wear the same pants and shirt everyday, and then of course there is the never-ending brush-your-hair-again routine. Just in time for warmer weather too: their pants have become ready for any three- or four-inch floods.

I'm feeling the nesting coming on strong. With just eight weeks left to prepare (I like to have all the big stuff completed a month or so before I meet up with the stork) I am feeling the pressure.

The garage needs to be organized: I purchased a 4 x 8 foot peg board with the wood needed to put it up on the garage wall. That is what is on my honey-do list for this Saturday. We'll get to the work bench that needs to be built later.

The guest room needs to merge with my sewing room. I've got to finish up a few projects (more on my list!) before I bring down the queen-sized bed.

Then the original guest room needs to become the nursery. Paint colors...paint colors...I haven't decided. I have the crib bedding now, I know the colors. I just have got to pick one, or two or three, depending on what I do. Since everything in my home has, so far, been painted blue, I hesitate to paint another room blue. But it just may be...

For now on my big to-do list: a nap. I think I should take a nap. I've been up and at 'em for a little over four hours now...so yup: I deserve a break now. Pregnancy sure shifts the way I look at life, and in particular, my day's priorities (naps are usually at the top).

No comments: